[Support request] How to update an old GP website with new child theme

Home Forums Support [Support request] How to update an old GP website with new child theme

Home Forums Support How to update an old GP website with new child theme

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Cousins

Hi! I hope this isn’t a stupid question but I am not tech savvy AT ALL! I created a website using GP back in 2015 through a lot of question asking and watching YouTube videos and then dropped that project and haven’t really looked at it in four years. I have basically forgot how to do everything pertaining to creating a WordPress site and a lot has changed with this theme since then.

I would like to update my website using one of the themes available from the library. I have purchased the premium version (which I had before) and updated my licencing key. Now I am not sure where to go from here. My website is currently built on a child theme of GP (back when there was only one option to use). Do I just download the files to wordpress and pick one of the themes from the library and change it? Like I said I am not tech savvy when it comes to websites and I am worried about losing a lot of info and messing up my website beyond repair.

Any help, guidance, step by step instructions or general hand holding is much appreciated 🙂 Thank you!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

we don’t advise installing a Site Library Site on a pre-built website. The Site will import settings, plugins and content. It will not however replace or remove any existing content. But it will swap out logos, menus and widgets ( if applicable ). So you would have to do some repair work ie. removing demo content, and swapping back the elements mentioned above.

If you were to attempt then i would advise the following. Most importantly make a backup of your Site. You’re host should be able to assist with that or use one of the many WP backup plugins.

My method would be as follows:

1. Create a Staging version of your Site. Check with your Host they should be able to assist with that. It will create a duplicate of your site under a subdomain URL e.g staging.mysite.com. Complete all changes on the Staging Site. Once everything is good you can have your host push the staging site to live. ie. the original domain name.

2. Remove the child theme so its just GeneratePress and Premium. Remove any CSS you have in the Additional CSS in the Customizer or other CSS plugins, unless these are 100% specific to any HTML you have added to your pages or posts.

3. Install the chosen Site from the library. It is best that you’re 100% sure of your choice. Otherwise if you change your mind you will be deleting your staging site and starting over.

4. Now the new Site is installed you will find the logos, front page and menus etc have changed. You’re old content, menus etc will still be there. So you will need to re-assign these.

5. Delete all of the Demo content from pages, posts and media.

6. Now check the Site to see if anything has changed or broken. Make repairs if necessary.

7. Once happy push the staging site live.

Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.