[Resolved] How to tell which local font variants are absolutely neccesary?

Home Forums Support How to tell which local font variants are absolutely neccesary?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Oisin

Hi Guys,

I’m having another go at setting up local fonts now that I resolved my CORS issue. In the really useful local fonts guide you put together you advise to only download the variants I need.

As a noob reading this my first question is, “How do I know which variants are critical and which are not?”

I thought to look at the theme customizer, typography and then see which variants are listed there. However, there’s quite a few and I’m not sure how many I actually need to download.

Any advice much appreciated.

Johnny.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

its totally up to you which varients you choose to load. The theme doesn’t force any particular varient on any element.
    So if you decide you’re only going to require regular (400) and bold (700) for a particular font then that just load them.

Oisin

Cheers David,

So, 700 is just 400 in bold and if I only download 400 I won’t be able to bold that font?

Thanks,

Johnny.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Bold is the odd one out – you can always choose Bold in the customizer – it uses the font-weight: bold; CSS property and lets the browser get on with it. But its a fake and never looks as good as if a bold (700) varient is available.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.