[Resolved] How to make parent page on nav bar non-linking?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] How to make parent page on nav bar non-linking?

Home Forums Support How to make parent page on nav bar non-linking?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Marla

Hi there,

Ok, so I’m a total newbie and have NO clue how to use css. I purchased GP Premium and have been using the add-ons to tweak my website. It works well enough but without css I cannot create precisely what I want. Nevertheless, I’ve managed to put together a basic website with GP!

Anyway, one of my MANY questions is:

How do I make a parent item on my navigation bar non-linking? I want the name of the parent page displayed on the nav-bar (e.g., Services Offered) but I want folks to use the sub-navigation pages (e.g., Service A, Service B…) to access information. Am I making sense?

I’ve scoured the support forum but many of the potential fixes for my problems is in css and so I’m kind stuck. Can I do this without css?

Thanks in advance!

Marla

Stacey Usborne
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Marla,

This article might be helpful:
    https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/using-menus/#create-drop-down-menu-custom

Let me know.

Marla

Hi Stacey,

Thanks for that link! I had checked menus out before but wasn’t sure what they were for…

So, I’ve watched the animation (how to create a parent page that does not link anywhere) about 20 times.
    I did exactly as it shows but it does not seem to be working – the parent page is still an active link.

Also, when I mouse-over parent menu on the nav-bar, it still shows an active url in the bottom left corner of my screen. πŸ™

What am I doing wrong? Ideas?

Thanks,
    Marla

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Marla,

Your best bet is to delete the current menu item in your menu which links to the active URL.

Now create the new parent item as a Custom Link with no URL.

Re-add the sub-menu to the new custom link with no URL, and save your menu.

If that doesn’t work, make sure the theme location is set: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/using-menus/#set-theme-location

Marla Bigel

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply! So that partially worked. I made a custom link with no url but when I set the theme location to primary and then viewed the site, that menu item was the ONLY one visible on my navigation bar. Yikes!

I have several parent pages that will have a drop-down menu but that I don’t want a url for so how do I do that?

Thanks,
    Marla

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Marla,

Was it the only menu item you added to the menu before setting the theme location? You’ll need to build your menu in there just as you’d like it, then it should display perfectly.

The process for creating parent menu items without URLs is outlined above – adding them as Custom Links with no URL (or a hashtag: #) is the way to go.

Just be sure to build your entire menu in that area.

Let me know if you need more info or not πŸ™‚

Marla Bigel

Hey Tom,

I went in, deleted all previous menus then started again.
    Then, I did the following for ALL of the menus with sub-items:

1. Created new menu (e.g., “Services”). Saved menu.
    2. Added menu items/pages (e.g., sub1, sub2) and arranged them in the order I want within the menu structure section. Saved menu.
    3. Clicked Custom Links tab, added a # to the “URL” space.
    4. Typed the name of the parent page (i.e., “Services”) in the space called “Link Text”. Saved menu.

I don’t know what “menu settings” does but if I select “primary theme” for any of the individual menus that have sub-items, that is the only menu that shows up on the navigation bar.

Something is clearly amiss! Thanks for your patience! πŸ™‚

Marla

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Marla,

I have a feeling you’re creating a new menu for each menu item?

If so, you only want to create one “menu” – so you should only click the “Create Menu” button once.

Once the one menu is created, add all of your menu items into that one menu.

Then set the theme location and you should be done.

You should see all of your menus in your one menu screen when you’re done.

Marla Bigel

Tom,

It worked! Duh, I should have figured that out on my own… but you are brilliant! Thank you for being so patient, responsive and supportive!

I hope my newbie struggles help someone else!

Time to buy you a coffee πŸ™‚

Marla

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem! I’m glad that we could get it figured out! πŸ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.