[Support request] How to link to secondary pages from footer menu without showing in main page nav

Home Forums Support [Support request] How to link to secondary pages from footer menu without showing in main page nav

Home Forums Support How to link to secondary pages from footer menu without showing in main page nav

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Gidget Hall

Definitely not a developer here, just a writer who maintains her own website. πŸ™‚ Question that I couldn’t quite solve from searching the support forum:

What I’m going for is to only have primary pages in my top navigation: Home, Services, Sectors, About, and Contact.

But I have other pages I need to link to in various places throughout the site, including Process, Style Guide, Samples, etc.

My goal is to not have those nested as drop-down pages (as I do currently) but rather to have menu options linking to them in the footer. I’ve watched the menu builder options and tinkered in Stage, but I am clearly missing something.

Apologies for what is probably a rookie question with an obvious and easy solution! If you can help, I’d greatly appreciate it. Thanks friends.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

are these footer links going to be the same across the entire site?

If so you can create a new Menu ( in Appearance > Menus ) – but do not give it a location.
    Then you can add an Appearance > Widgets to the Footer Widget. Use the Navigation Menu Widget and select your new menu

Let me know if thats correct

Gidget Hall

Thanks David! Yes, the footer links will be the same for the whole site. Thanks for your help!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yup then you can either use the footer widgets David suggested – see the bottom of this site for example,

Or use the footer bar widget area as seen in Grill here on the right of the copyright text:
    https://gpsites.co/grill/

Let us know if this helps πŸ™‚

Melissa

Leo the footer bar widget area in Grill is exactly what I’m trying to replicate. I have the copyright info on the left, and 3 links on the right to PDFs in my media library (privacy, cookies and site conditions). Currently I have added them as nav widgets, but they stack on top of each other in a column, rather than display side by side. Side note: also a web building newbie, apologies if this is a silly question!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I’m going to guess that you’ve added them in the footer widget area instead of the footer bar widget area:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/footer-bar-widget-area/#adding-a-footer-menu

If this doesn’t help, can you link me to the page in question?

Feel free to open a new topic if you need to use the private URL field πŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.