[Support request] How to create columns in sections

Home Forums Support [Support request] How to create columns in sections

Home Forums Support How to create columns in sections

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Lynn

Hi there,

I have been using the Lightweight Grid Columns plugin to create columns in Generate Press for a year or so. I am creating a new website using the classic editor with WordPress 5.0.2. I am using GP sections. I installed and activated the Lightweight Grid columns plugin. However the icon for it does not show up in the classic editor menu icons. I also noticed that this plugin has not been updated for about a year. Generally speaking, what is the best way I can create columns in a GP section at this time? I know Gutenberg allows columns, but as I indicated, I am using a section. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lynn

JOHN

I have the same question too! I just installed GP about a week ago and went to add a page today and noticed you can now add columns with Gutenburg editor.
    Should we keep Lightweight Grid columns plugin activated or just use Gutenburg?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If you’re using the Gutenberg editor, you should use the Columns block.

If you’re using Sections, you can continue to use Lightweight Grid Columns.

Lynn – are you saying there isn’t an option to add the shortcode in the classic editor inside Sections anymore? I’ll take a look at that.

Soon, we’ll have a Sections block for Gutenberg ๐Ÿ™‚

Lynn

Hi Tom,

Yes, I am saying there used to be an icon for columns in the menu ribbon in the classic editor but it no longer shows, at least in sections. From what I can see, it is there in the editor if you do not use sections.

Thanks,

Lynn

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Got it – I’ll take a look. It may be something we need to fix in the next GPP version.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I have a branch of GPP which should have this fixed. If you want to give it a try (I’d appreciate it), shoot me an email: https://generatepress.com/contact

Jim

Hi Tom,
    Did you manage to fix the missing editing icons in Sections when using the classic interface?

TVM
    Jim

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Jim,

I believe so – feel free to shoot us an email (https://generatepress.com/contact) and I’ll send you the patch ๐Ÿ™‚

Lynn

Hi Tom,

Thanks for sending the beta version of gp premium. I followed the instructions for replacing the plugin. However, I still am unable to see the icon for columns on the ribbon menu in sections. I have tried it in Chrome Version 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit) and in Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0.

I am able to create columns by hand coding them in the text tab using code from other websites I have previously created. I’m assuming that the coding is being interpreted by the lightweight grid columns plugin but am not sure if this will work in all instances.

It would be much quicker to have the icon available.

Thanks,

Lynn

Lynn

PS I followed the instructions for manually uploading the plugin and did not use the other plugin you referred to.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hey Lynn,

Are you using the Classic Editor plugin? If not, can you try installing it just to test?

Lynn

Hey tom,

I am already using the Classic Editor plugin.

Lynn

Hey Tom,

Here’s an update. I reinstalled the Lightweight Grid Columns plugin and it’s now workins. Thanks for all your help!

Have a great day.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You’re welcome. Thanks for testing the patch!

Erik

Hi Tom,

When can we expect a update of generatepress including this patch? I have the same problem with the missing editing icons for Lightweight Grid Columns. in Sections.

Thanks in advance!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.