[Support request] How to automatically update GP premium on multisite

Home Forums Support [Support request] How to automatically update GP premium on multisite

Home Forums Support How to automatically update GP premium on multisite

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Yashwant

What is the correct way to automatically update GP premium on multisite installation. I am using WPEngine and therefore I have to use multisite environment. Even if I installed licence on all sites on the multisite still there are no automatic updates.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

This is something I need to talk about with the developer of the licensing software.

For now, you could manually update the plugin on the main installation – then it will apply to every sub-site.

drew

Any update on this item? I still can’t update GP premium on multisites without having to manually do so on an individual install’s plugin page.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Unfortunately it looks like it’s necessary to update it on one of the single sites. Once you do that, it will be updated on all of the sites.

drew

Gotcha, thanks for confirming although that does make the entire update process much (much) more time consuming.

100% of my client sites run multisite and at 78 sites, that adds an extra 20 sec per site, which sounds trivial until you do the math πŸ™‚ Then it becomes nearly an extra half hour of time if we update things manually. That comes out to $75 at our shop rate and I would be crazy happy to pay that much more per year for GP Premium – I still think you undercharge! πŸ™‚

Are there at least any plans for rolling out the auto-update function within Easy Digital Downloads for GP Premium?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You should only need to update one of the sites. Since multisite uses one set of files for every single site, only one update process has to happen for it to apply to every site.

So the time it takes to update is the exact same that it would be if it was in the network admin.

drew

Sorry, my bad on the description. I didn’t mean site per multisite, rather, sites = installs. So 78 installs (each one has between one and 10 sites inside the multisite network).

But really, you should charge more πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Oh, so you want a way to update GPP across 78 separate multsite installs? I’m not sure if our update system works with something like ManageWP, but that’d be the way to do it for sure.

drew

Do you guys use the auto update function with EDD licensing extension (where registered installs with active license keys can auto-update the plugin once a new released is pushed)?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Yes, that’s what we’re using πŸ™‚

drew

Gotcha, then I wonder why our plugins aren’t installing the update once they are pushed out? Is that related to the multisite environment issue?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Not sure what you mean? Once you update the plugin, it still says there’s an update available?

drew

Sorry for not being clear, I thought you confirmed that the plugin can be set to auto-update (i.e. install the update without having the user initiate the manual update). That’s what I’m asking now, because if that’s available then it should make the multisite update problem moot. If not, I have to explore a solution to sidestep the multisite problem.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The plugin can be updated using the “Update now” link in the Dashboard – you shouldn’t need to manually update the plugin by uploading the .zip again.

I don’t believe it will “auto-update” without you initiating the update itself.

drew

Gotcha, and that dashboard update procedure is what I’m referencing as the manual process πŸ™‚

I’ll have to check the EDD documentation again but I thought they facilitated the auto-install update function.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.