[Resolved] How not to lose the settings after the update?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] How not to lose the settings after the update?

Home Forums Support How not to lose the settings after the update?

• This topic has 10 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Leo.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Vl

1. I use the child theme, but after changing the design in “Customise” I do not see any changes in style.css in the child theme.
    If the changes are made only in the parent theme, can I lose them after the update?

2. What is the better: to use the child theme and write the code into style.css and functions.php, or to use the parent theme and insert css and php code by plugins?

3. When using child theme, how can I make changes to header.php so that they are not lost after the update?

Thank you.

Vl

Let me ask you another question: will the code in hooks be lost after the update?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

1. I’m gonna guess this is the issue: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/child-theme-issues/#import

2. It generally depends on how much customization you plan on doing. See this article here: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

3. Nothing will lose in child theme during updates.

4. Hooks are saved through updates.

Vl

Hi,
    1. No, the problem is not this, I have the correct child theme, because I downloaded it from your site.
    My question is different. For example, I activated the child theme and changed fonts and colors. But after these changes, the style.css and function.php in child theme are still empty, that means that changes are written to the parent theme.
    Question: Where these changes recording? At the parent theme? After the upgrade, they will not be overwritten?
    Thank you.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Ahh I see.

The customizer settings are in the database. They will be saved through updates ๐Ÿ™‚

Vl

That is, the child theme is only needed to add additional css and php.
    If I add this code through the plugins, I will not need a child theme.
    Thank you very much for the answer.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yes exactly ๐Ÿ™‚

If you do have lots of CSS though (like 500 lines) then we would recommend using a child theme too.

Vl

It’s good that you marked it.

Did I correctly understand, if I want to insert the breadcrumbs php code in header.php, I should copy this file to the child theme?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Code like this? https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/adding-breadcrumbs-to-gp/#post-495415

If so they can go directly into hooks where you want them to appear.

Vl

Thank you so much!

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.