[Support request] How Do I Use The "Quote Format"?

Home Forums Support [Support request] How Do I Use The "Quote Format"?

Home Forums Support How Do I Use The "Quote Format"?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Retzer

I had this idea to publish some quotations on my blog as standalone posts. But the “quotes” format doesn’t seem to do anything different from regular posts. Am I missing something? I was expecting some sort of fancy formatting.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi John,

Not quite sure what you meant? Are you using the quote feature in the editor?

Any specific effect you are trying to achieve? A link to show what you have so far or an example of what you are looking for might help πŸ™‚

Let me know.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The quote format allows you to post HTML in the excerpt, so you can use the blockquotes built into the theme.

While in the “Visual Editor” highlight your quote and click the quotation mark button in the editor πŸ™‚

S-Config

I’m not sure if I’m reading this right. Perhaps John meant that the quotation style does not stand out from the rest of the text in the blog? I had this problem early on in GeneratePress. Theme > customize > typography does not have an option to change the size/style of block quotations.

I have to inject some CSS to make it pop a little more.

You can either do this in the style.css of your child theme or the usage of the Simple CSS plugin. Either way. I shall post my code. Now mine is a bit extreme with custom font sizes and type so you may wish to adjust accordingly to your site.

/* Quotations */

blockquote {
    	font-family: Georgia, serif;
    	font-size: 28px;
    	font-style: italic;
    	margin: 0.25em 0;
    	padding: 0.25em 40px;
    	line-height: 1.45;
    	position: relative;
    }

blockquote:before {
    	display: block;
    	content: "\201C";
    	font-size: 80px;
    	position: absolute;
    	left: -10px;
    	top: -10px;
    }

blockquote cite {
    	font-size: 28px;
    	display: block;
    	margin-top: 5px;
    }

blockquote cite:before {
    	content: "\2014 \2009";
    }

Anyhow, hope that is what you were looking for.

– S

Lyle

This is how am reading what John is asking about … I am asking as well as it doesn’t seem to make any difference πŸ™‚

Cheers!
    Lyle

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

By default it doesn’t make any difference, it simply allows you to wrap a blockquote around your text which will show in the excerpts (by default excerpts don’t show HTML like blockquotes).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.