[Support request] How do I use menus for large sites?

Home Forums Support [Support request] How do I use menus for large sites?

Home Forums Support How do I use menus for large sites?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ian

The examples I’ve seen are all for small sites.
    How would I create the menus for a site with ten pages in the main menu, then five of the pages having about ten sub-pages in their subordinate menus, and some of these subordinate pages having their own subordinate menus – in other words – a silo system?

I like what I’ve seen of your site so far, and am sure that I’m just not understanding the documentation.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

What problem are you experiencing currently?

10 menu items plus sub menus should be fine for WordPress to handle.

Let me know.

Ian

Thanks Leo,
    I’m completely confident that your program can handle it. I just don’t understand the instructions well enough.
    I’ve just created a website at http://portfoliofor.yanmac.com/ and it should be quite simple
    What I would like to do is have the home page menu showing the headings that I’ve got planned in the home page just now.
    Then when someone goes to Still Photos the menu will show something like Perth, Wanneroo, Sinagra, Yellagonga Park, Yanchep, Markets, Royal Show, King’s Park
    Then if somebody clicks on Perth, I would like a sub-sub menu to show Herrisson Island, City Centre, parks, parades

The idea is that my portfolio won’t just present hundreds of photos and articles in a jumbled mess. People interested in hiring me will be able to visit the pages that interest them. Somewhere or other there will have to be a menu item for head and shoulder photos, and for action photos, but I haven’t planned that yet.

Where do the sub-menus appear? Perhaps if I just try creating some I’ll find out. That’s what I did with the main menu, and all the pages I’ve created appear on the home page menu. I don’t want all the pages to appear when I go to one of the menu items.

I’m sorry – this is all so elementary, but I’m so new to your theme. I’ve used other themes to create many web pages, but they have either stopped working, or become too expensive for me to use.

In http://savewith.yanmac.com for instance, I have taken complete responsibility for the menus instead of using any menus provided by the them. You will see the legally-required menu in the footer, and the other menus in a green patch near the top.

Ian McAllister

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

GP doesn’t do anything special or handle menu structure – it just uses the default WordPress menu builder.

All the info you need should be in this article: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-the-wordpress-menu-builder/

Let me know if this helps or if you get stuck somewhere.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.