[Support request] Ho do I set a featured image for my blog roll?

Home Forums Support Ho do I set a featured image for my blog roll?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    stefanie

Hi, I am having trouble setting a featured image for my blog roll. i have gone to ‘layout’, ‘blog’, then ticked ‘display featured image’ but it,s not working. Can you help please? I’m not sure if I have configured everything right. I would also like to know if it’s possible to have a block of about 6 featured images and posts come up on my blog roll so it’s easy to see at a glance more posts without scrolling. Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Have you added featured images to your posts?

Not too sure what you mean by the 6 featured images. Do you have any examples you can share with us?

stefanie

Hi Tom, sorry for not making it clear, and yes I do have featured images set for each post I think. I always have a big image at the top of all my posts so I’m presuming that’s what you mean yes? Or is there something else I have to do to make it a featured image.

What I mean is sometimes I see on other peoples websites (sorry, not necessarily 6) that there blog roll has like a featured image set in squares. Can’t really explain it, but have uploaded an example URL.
    https://vibranthappyhealthy.com/

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Having an image at the start of your content isn’t quite enough. You need to set the “Featured Image” while adding your post: https://www.screencast.com/t/cvVvoii92PDS

You can achieve a column layout like that once the featured images are uploaded by setting the columns feature: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-columns-in-the-blog/

Let me know if you need more info πŸ™‚

stefanie

Hi Tom, tanks for your advice. I have successfully uploaded all my featured images and they are now showing up on my blog roll. Thing is, they are really varying in size so I’m guessing I need to go back and change all the sizes and upload them again. Is there a specific size they need to be?

Also, one other question, I don’t know if you know anything about SEO, but I always use the title of my post as the Alt text in my first image. As I am using this same image as my featured image I am automatically leaving the whole post title as the Alt text for this too. Is this a god idea? I’m wondering if it will be seen as keyword stuffing, but I’m not sure if the featured image even comes up in the code so maybe it doesn’t matter. Any help you could give me on this would be great as I can’t find any info on it.

stefanie

Hi Tom, I have just realised that I don’t need to have both images on my post so please don’t bother answering my question about Alt text. However, I would still like to know about the sizing of the images please?
    Thanks πŸ™‚

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

it is best to use images of all the same size and aspect ratio. And that they are a minimum size that meets your columns width needs. So you current images are all around 500px wide when the container width available is 725px.

You can force images to be a set size in the Customizer > Layout > Blog –> Featured Images but you won’t want to make them larger then the original image size.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.