[Support request] Hide Featured Image / Page Header via Disable Elements

Home Forums Support [Support request] Hide Featured Image / Page Header via Disable Elements

Home Forums Support Hide Featured Image / Page Header via Disable Elements

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Steve

I can’t seem to use Disable Elements -> Featured Image/Page Header to hide a Header Element. I’d like to offer this ability in the page editor rather than have a list of exceptions managed via the Elements post type. It seems to work for other elements but not this one.

From what I’ve found so far on the forums, it may be because I’m using a custom Elements as the Page Header. Is there another/better way to do this to allow for Disable elements to work for single page/post headers/featured image sections?

Thanks!

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

I’d like to offer this ability in the page editor rather than have a list of exceptions managed via the Elements post type.

You can actually have this feature on the Layout Metabox on Gutenberg Editor when you enable “Disable Elements” module on Appearance > GeneratePress.

Here’s how it’ll look like. https://share.getcloudapp.com/xQuA1Egb

From what I’ve found so far on the forums, it may be because I’m using a custom Elements as the Page Header. Is there another/better way to do this to allow for Disable elements to work for single page/post headers/featured image sections?

To clarify: do you want to disable the entire header element on selected pages/posts only? You should be able to do that with the Header element’s display rules.

Steve

Hi Elvin–

What you’re describing is what I have been using. The Disable Elements option is enabled and I have the Page Header/Featured Image checked.

There is a page header that is placed by the GP Elements feature.

I want to retain the site header but remove the page/post header, which look like this with the heading and background image.

I can already do this via GP -> Elements, however if you have people editing pages and adding posts, it would be more useful to do this on the Edit Page Meta box as you mentioned. The problem is this doesn’t work currently.

Thanks!

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

I can already do this via GP -> Elements, however if you have people editing pages and adding posts, it would be more useful to do this on the Edit Page Meta box as you mentioned. The problem is this doesn’t work currently.

Ah that’s right. Layout element takes precedence over post’s Layout Metabox.

I want to retain the site header but remove the page/post header, which look like this with the heading and background image.

The way to go about this is to use the Header Element’s Display rule > exclude pages you don’t want the page-hero to display on.

Steve

Right, I understand that. What I’m looking for is a per page basis of managing this, rather than send content editors to the more obscure GP Elements settings and maintaining a long list of pages that should hide the Page header.

Is there any way to use Disable Elements per page? How Can I use Disable Elements and the Elements section for that? Do I turn off Page Exceptions to allow this functionality? Thanks

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Is there any way to use Disable Elements per page? How Can I use Disable Elements and the Elements section for that? Do I turn off Page Exceptions to allow this functionality? Thanks

Since we can’t use the Layout Metabox, the way to go about this is to make another Layout Element for the purpose of disabling elements.

Example: Say you want to remove the site header specifically on “Style guide” and “checkout” page only, what you can do is to create a Layout Element with Site Header checked on Disable Elements tab with Display rule location set to Page – About and Page – Contact as shown here: https://share.getcloudapp.com/wbuPGX9Q

What’s good here is you don’t have to open and edit each and every page to apply this. You just have to open the Layout Element’s display rule location to add in all the pages you want this applied.

Steve

I see where you are going here but I’m trying to find a solution for a different scenario.

I have 300 pages. 250 need this Header Element. 50 do not need a page header. There may be another 20 added every year in that same category. By many content editors who do not know how GP Elements post types work.

I understand you can use Element -> Display rules to hide or show the page header. However, this is not practical for this much content managed by dozens of content editors. I’m trying to make this as intuitive as possible for them. The Disable Elements feature seems to be perfect for this use case.

Is there a way to do this where I use Disable Elements meta box to do what I need to do to hide this element? In other words, how do I make my custom element compatible with Disable Elements meta box functionality?

Thank you!

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

I have 300 pages. 250 need this Header Element. 50 do not need a page header. There may be another 20 added every year in that same category. By many content editors who do not know how GP Elements post types work.

In that case, we can use Category for your display rule on your Header Element.

We can set it in a way where the page-hero section is hidden on a specific category.

That said, all the content editor has to know is to set the right category for the post. 🙂

Another thing about this is it is retroactive, meaning if you’ve already posted 300 pages w/ 50 of them belonging to a specific category that doesn’t need the page header, the display rule will still apply to them.

Is there a way to do this where I use Disable Elements meta box to do what I need to do to hide this element? In other words, how do I make my custom element compatible with Disable Elements meta box functionality?

To answer this directly: No, unfortunately there’s no way to make that work w/ the Layout metabox.

And I should clarify things: the Featured Image / Page Header in the disable elements module only disables the featured image. The misleading text will be patched on the next update.

Steve

OK, thanks for clarifying. Sounds like the answer is no 🙂

I suppose Elements will eventually be replaced with Blocks. The category approach won’t work for our use on a case by case basis. The nice part of Elements is it locks that element of the page down so editors can’t mess it up.

Going forward it would be rad if you could make use of Disable elements to disable custom Elements.

Thanks for your help.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.