[Resolved] Help with Sec Nav Add On, Help adding Frame for Slider and Post Layout

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Help with Sec Nav Add On, Help adding Frame for Slider and Post Layout

Home Forums Support Help with Sec Nav Add On, Help adding Frame for Slider and Post Layout

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Shana Howard

Hi. I am hoping that I can get some help. I am a newbie to css and php have spent hours but still I can not figure out the following things.

1) I would like to have a Title above the Secondary Navigation. Is there a way to put a widget above it or add a header title?

2) I am trying to add a feature post slider to the homepage and I would like it to go above the left sidebar and the content.

3) I also am trying to customize the post layout. I would like to remove the feature image from the posts on home page. I would like instead to have the slider.

Hopefully you can help me b/c if not I may throw my computer out the window.

Thanks a bunch.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Shana,

Hopefully your computer is still inside your house πŸ™‚

1. Where is the secondary navigation located? In a sidebar?

2. Your best bet here is to use GP Hooks. I explained it in this thread: http://www.generatepress.com/forums/topic/how-to-add-slideshow-to-my-theme/

3. For this, you would use the Page Header addon. There’s a couple videos you can watch which show you how to use a video as your featured image: http://www.generatepress.com/knowledgebase/generate-page-header/

Let me know if you need any more help πŸ™‚

Shana Howard

Hi Tom. Thanks for the quick reply back. Thankfully, my computer is still in the new house. Thanks for caring.

After some more hair pulling work and research, I have this code that is for a Featured Content Gallery.

<?php include (ABSPATH . ‘/wp-content/plugins/featured-content-gallery/gallery.php’); ?>

I guess I am suppose to insert this somewhere in the php. I am using Exhibit Theme and would like the slider to go above the Content (in the center of my two side menus) but only on the home page. It is a content slider.

Also, if I get this slider thing working is there a way to not show the photos on the homepage without having to remove all the feature photos from the posts?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Shana,

Does that plugin come with a shortcode instead of a php call?

If so, the Page Header addon would allow you to add it above your content on the homepage super easily.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Shana Howard

Hi Tom.

I scrapped the plug-in cause I couldn’t get it to work right. I have already bought the plug-in package… all of them. And I don’t even know what a hook is but one day…

Could you help me with one more thing? I am trying to change my header not to an image but to html code. I can add it with a widget but it is small and doesn’t stretch across the whole page.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Looks like GP Hooks will come in handy sooner than you thought! πŸ™‚

You can add your own HTML into the header using GP Hooks – go to “Appearance > GP Hooks” and select the “Before Header Content” area.

Add your HTML in there and you should be good to go.

Let me know if you need more help!

Shana Howard

That put my html header about the original header image (I guess I can delete that so it is only the html image). But it is small and doesn’t stretch all the way across the page. Is there a quick fix for that?

Shana Howard

Something crazy just happened and I don’t know what. There are double images. I deactivated the hooks but they are still there… I just updated the plug-ins.

http://takingroute.net/

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m sorry about that! This is a bug in the child themes. I released the update, but there’s a long queue over at WP.org to get updates released.

You can patch your child theme with these instructions: http://generatepress.com/forums/topic/double-image/#post-47009

As for your header image – we can stretch it using CSS, but that will most likely cause a huge loss of quality. Your best bet is to use an image that’s big enough to span the full width.

Let me know if you have any questions πŸ™‚

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.