- This topic has 8 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years, 7 months ago by Tom.
November 6, 2014 at 7:43 pm #44657Shana Howard
Hi. I am hoping that I can get some help. I am a newbie to css and php have spent hours but still I can not figure out the following things.
1) I would like to have a Title above the Secondary Navigation. Is there a way to put a widget above it or add a header title?
2) I am trying to add a feature post slider to the homepage and I would like it to go above the left sidebar and the content.
3) I also am trying to customize the post layout. I would like to remove the feature image from the posts on home page. I would like instead to have the slider.
Hopefully you can help me b/c if not I may throw my computer out the window.
Thanks a bunch.November 7, 2014 at 2:16 am #44658TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
Hopefully your computer is still inside your house 🙂
1. Where is the secondary navigation located? In a sidebar?
2. Your best bet here is to use GP Hooks. I explained it in this thread: http://www.generatepress.com/forums/topic/how-to-add-slideshow-to-my-theme/
3. For this, you would use the Page Header addon. There’s a couple videos you can watch which show you how to use a video as your featured image: http://www.generatepress.com/knowledgebase/generate-page-header/
Let me know if you need any more help 🙂November 7, 2014 at 5:54 am #44712Shana Howard
Hi Tom. Thanks for the quick reply back. Thankfully, my computer is still in the new house. Thanks for caring.
After some more hair pulling work and research, I have this code that is for a Featured Content Gallery.
<?php include (ABSPATH . ‘/wp-content/plugins/featured-content-gallery/gallery.php’); ?>
I guess I am suppose to insert this somewhere in the php. I am using Exhibit Theme and would like the slider to go above the Content (in the center of my two side menus) but only on the home page. It is a content slider.
Also, if I get this slider thing working is there a way to not show the photos on the homepage without having to remove all the feature photos from the posts?November 7, 2014 at 6:07 pm #44820TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
Does that plugin come with a shortcode instead of a php call?
If so, the Page Header addon would allow you to add it above your content on the homepage super easily.
Let me know 🙂November 18, 2014 at 10:43 pm #47283Shana Howard
I scrapped the plug-in cause I couldn’t get it to work right. I have already bought the plug-in package… all of them. And I don’t even know what a hook is but one day…
Could you help me with one more thing? I am trying to change my header not to an image but to html code. I can add it with a widget but it is small and doesn’t stretch across the whole page.November 18, 2014 at 11:54 pm #47288TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
Looks like GP Hooks will come in handy sooner than you thought! 🙂
You can add your own HTML into the header using GP Hooks – go to “Appearance > GP Hooks” and select the “Before Header Content” area.
Add your HTML in there and you should be good to go.
Let me know if you need more help!November 19, 2014 at 6:02 am #47385Shana Howard
That put my html header about the original header image (I guess I can delete that so it is only the html image). But it is small and doesn’t stretch all the way across the page. Is there a quick fix for that?November 19, 2014 at 6:24 am #47387Shana Howard
Something crazy just happened and I don’t know what. There are double images. I deactivated the hooks but they are still there… I just updated the plug-ins.November 19, 2014 at 8:18 am #47398TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
I’m sorry about that! This is a bug in the child themes. I released the update, but there’s a long queue over at WP.org to get updates released.
You can patch your child theme with these instructions: http://generatepress.com/forums/topic/double-image/#post-47009
As for your header image – we can stretch it using CSS, but that will most likely cause a huge loss of quality. Your best bet is to use an image that’s big enough to span the full width.
Let me know if you have any questions 🙂
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.