[Support request] help understanding Existing Site Import Detected

Home Forums Support [Support request] help understanding Existing Site Import Detected

Home Forums Support help understanding Existing Site Import Detected

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Sarah

I’ve read the documentation but for some reason I am still a little confused. If I remove the existing site, will this delete all content and result in a totally fresh template?

Is there a way to test how the current content will look with a new template? When it says “this process restores your previous options, widgets etc.” I wasn’t clear whether it was referring to the process of removing an imported site or importing a new one. I understand that no option is perfect and I’ll likely have to go back and make some edits, but I want to make sure I understand whether I am deleting everything including content, or just changing the style and layout.

I’m changing the purpose of my site from a blog to consulting, but I’m hoping to avoid starting from scratch.

Thanks so much!

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi Sarah,

I’ve read the documentation but for some reason I am still a little confused. If I remove the existing site, will this delete all content and result in a totally fresh template?

Your current pages/posts/content wouldn’t be deleted. The importer only adds new content, and tries to avoid touch any current content.

Is there a way to test how the current content will look with a new template? 

Creating a backup of your website would safely allow you to revert all changes made while testing how your site will look with the different templates in the site library.

“this process restores your previous options, widgets etc.”

Removing an imported site would try to remove all things added when importing the site. This has no effect on the content itself.

In any case, as mentioned, if you have a backup, you can safely restore everything in your website to its previous state.

Kindly see: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/does-importing-removing-a-site-affect-existing-content/#post-1363978

Also see: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-the-site-library/

Hope this clarifies! Feel free to reach out if you’ll have any further inquiries! 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.