Black Friday Sale! Get $20 off GP Premium, $40 off our new Lifetime license, and 45% off license renewals/extensions! Learn more

[Resolved] Header, background image, border, menu and chicken bones?

Home Forums Support Header, background image, border, menu and chicken bones?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Doug

🙂 OK, no need for the chicken bones I suppose.

Background: I am brand new at building websites but some 25+ years working with data. I am looking for a bit of guidance; perhaps along the line of “best practices” or “You knothead, don’t do that!”, preferably the first choice. I have looked through your prior support but didn’t see anything that was a match.

(Side note: Love your product and support (wow, nice! x2) and “got here” via Dave Foy’s videos (take a bow, Dave! Thank you for your videos – short & sweet)

Looking at the site you will see a huge yellow border. That is NOT a part of the design. Rather a bit of formatting to give me a clearer sense of my progress. It will go away, I promise. 🙂

So, here are the features I am looking for. If not possible I am OK with that though I expect you folks will have a solution;

1. Border around visible screen. It will be reduced. Long-term design thought ‘points’ to drafting vellum type layout – not on you guys.(Is this still called the viewport?)
    2. Nav menu always visible. This will, I think, become a simple company name, hamburger menu and site tag shortly but I wanted to get the basics working first.
    3. Footer also always visible. I suspect this will point to some sort of dynamically-resizable process? I have found a few javascript examples. Suggestions?
    4. A bit of animation. I should be able to figure that out at some point. Not critical at this moment and also learning Smart Slider 3 which I just got. I can see this will take a bit but it sure seems nice.
    5. Any other suggestions you may have

Thank you!

Doug

GeneratePress 2.0
    Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Looks like you are using StylePress everywhere on your site.

Are you planning on using GP for any parts of your site? If not then you will need to check with Elementor for those questions.

If you are planning on using GP’s features:

1. https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-a-container-wrapper/

2. https://docs.generatepress.com/article/sticky-navigation/

3. https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/has-sticky-footer-been-figured-out/#post-346757

4. Yup you will need a plugin for something like that. I like Smart Slider 🙂

Doug

Leo,

THANK YOU!

As I mentioned I am new at this so I have, no doubt, collected some unwanted plugins. If I am reading you correctly StylePress is not needed – which is fine with me. 🙂 The fewer ‘pieces’, the better. Maybe I’ll reset it all – this is a good time.

I really want to work through this as a learning process but there are, if you wouldn’t mind, a couple areas where a suggestion or two would help.

So, ‘bare bones’ setup would be GP, Elementor, SmartSlider and whatever these suggest I add as supporting plugins? Anything else to recommend?

Also, it appears that some of these plugins have areas of functional overlap. Am I reading that correctly and if so what would be the best approach, if any, for deciding who ‘wins’? Essentially, any guidance that will help me through all the marketing ‘blather’ is appreciated. It was a little confusing, especially in the area of menus, where to place things, the dependencies between Elementor and GP and so forth. Not a big deal but for a noob like me a bit more to absorb I suppose than most. It’ll all sort out.

As I mentioned before I have been quite impressed with the level of support and how easy you have made all of this. Kudos to all. I have always noted a strong correlation between how close one gets to the real developer(s) and the nicer the conversations. I’m self-taught and after 30 years of various kinds of development, I still enjoy the challenge of learning new technologies. And helping others.

Regards,

Doug

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Do you have an example style of what you are trying to achieve?

I would say that barebone would be GP premium and Smart Slider – I never recommend people to start with page builders 🙂

If you do want to use Elementor, I would recommend only using for the content and leave header, menu and footer etc to GP.

Let me know if this helps.

Doug

Leo,

That (sorry, speaking in pronouns again 🙂 – your recommendation) was exactly what I was looking for. No clutter. Woot.

WRT “example style”, no, only what I might describe as “some sort of vague notion that, in the light of reality would be like the dream of going to grade school in your pajamas.” 🙂

Thinking visually or thematically and presuming you peeked at the site, you would have noted both the ship and grid. The border, being a visual reference to the vellum paper I mentioned before, and combined with the other is a ‘clue’ to the larger notion that working with data has similarities to both of the above.

I have completely removed all content and am, I believe, back where I think I ought to be – clean baseline, all junk removed. I will, as you suggested, start with the setup noted. I learn very quickly (always have) but it can also lead to overload as well. That happened here but it is, for me anyway, a good approach to quickly sort through things and get to the core issues. Painful for everyone else I suppose. 🙂 I had mentioned before that I thought there might be a bit of overlap between the various products (all good and recommended) and I am now where I think I need to be.

I’ll send a note when I think I have something. Like I said, all new WRT to “hand’s on”. Love it!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.