[Support request] GP / Elementor conflict – WSOD

Home Forums Support [Support request] GP / Elementor conflict – WSOD

Home Forums Support GP / Elementor conflict – WSOD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Simon

Hello GP team

I am using GP Premium 2.4.2 / 1.11.3 and Elementor Pro 3.0.5 and when trying to edit pages AND posts I am seeing a WSOD.

I’m using an Elementor theme offered by the GP site library. I’m aware that these themes have recently temporarily withdrawn, but I worked hard on this site with that template with no idea that these would be withdrawn.

Is there a workaround so I can start editing pages and posts again, please?

Thanks

Simon

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Elementor provides this article on diagnosing and fixing a white screen:

https://elementor.com/blog/wordpress-white-screen/

Generally this happens when server memory is low – probably the best place to start.

NOTE: We temporarily removed the Elementor sites whilst they were fixing bugs in their latest release. They will be returning to the site library in the next GPP update.

Simon

Hi there,
    After following this up with SiteGround, who host my site – they have investigated and confirmed that the issue is occurring due to the active GeneratePress theme. After I have spent hours on this site over the last three months, please can you help resolve this problem?

Simon

It’s not necessarily a problem with Elementor, as it happens even when Elementor is deactivated.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

they have investigated and confirmed that the issue is occurring due to the active GeneratePress theme

Do they have any specific information that will help us debug this? What’s the latest error in the error_log file on the server?

9 times out of 10 a WSOD is a memory issue: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/increasing-php-memory-limit/

Simon

Thanks for the prompt reply!

SiteGround respond – “There were no errors generated in the server or appellation logs however I was able to find the following errors on the site’s frontend in the developer console of my web browser”:

(link sent privately)

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Those errors look like core WP errors. For example, wp is not defined is a WordPress error, as wp should definitely be defined in the editor.

Do the errors continue to happen if you deactivate your other plugins one by one? Something is breaking core WP functionality.

GeneratePress/GP Premium won’t be the cause of these errors or else we’d be experiencing them as well.

Let me know 🙂

Simon

Sorry, but the problem is definitely GeneratePress. SiteGround have addressed a few www and non-www problems, and the site edits fine if I use another theme. As soon as I change back to GP I am unable to edit any page. I have one of the GP/Elementor themes installed.

Simon

Hi there, this didn’t fix it so I had a coder look into the problem.

He reported: “there was something wrong with the JS file defer. And when defer was happening then Gutenberg and Theme JS files were conflicting.”

Just sending for your information.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You should not be deferring JS files on the backend or things will break.
    How are the files being deferred ? Is it a plugin ?

Simon

SiteGround Optimiser probably, very few plugins operating on my site.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Have you tried disabling the SG Optimizer ?

Simon

Yes, it had no effect. I am migrating over to another host today, so hopefully things will be better there.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Odd – i have a development platform SG with over 20 subdomains some of which are running Elementor. Never had this issue with any of those.

You could check for corrupted files, by removing the Theme and GPP plugin from your site using FTP. Then reinstall them from fresh downloads.

Simon

I can’t reinstall the theme since it is of your GP/Elementor themes, currently not been offered since the Elementor update. But I will!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.