[Resolved] GP doesn't apply sidebar config

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GP doesn't apply sidebar config

Home Forums Support GP doesn't apply sidebar config

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mitch Canton

Hey,

New here. Trying to get first instance of GP into the wild. Got a ton of stuff figured out so far.

But I’m stumped on this. Honestly, I’m hours into this before calling for help.

I can not get a post-type to display the sidebar structure as intended.

The post type is ‘events’ created by the plugin Calendarizeit. It uses a ‘Page Template’ setup, with a bunch of shortcodes on the page (content section) to define content. Then when someone visits an event post the applicable ‘page template’ displays the event post content accordingly.

I create an Element in GP+ ‘Single Event’
    settings:
    sidebars = S/C/S
    footer widgets = 0
    disable = top, featured,
    content = default
    display rules = ‘Event’ ‘all Events’ (and I threw ‘Page’ ‘Evenyt Page Template’ in there as well)

When I open an event, it displays only the content and one (right) sidebar.

Of note. I *have* set the GP layout on the Event ‘Page Template’ to be content only or S/C/S, to no avail.

Also, I went into ‘Customizer’ on both Page Template and an individual event post, and tried to change sidebars to S/C/S, to no avail.

Two other things of interest.

1/ If I change the GP Element settings to disable top bar, featured, or the navs, it DOES affect all the event posts; but changes to sidebars and widgets in that same screen are NOT affecting the event posts.

2/ If I go into the *individual* event post and set (assuming it overrides global setting)
    sidebars = S/C/S
    footer widgets = 1
    disable = nav

and then go to that specific event post, it works exactly as expected. Two sidebars, a footer widget, the other parts disabled.

I’m befuddled. Why are certain parts of the ‘global’ GP+ template not applying to all the event CPT’s?

Thanks.

WP 5.2.1
    GP/+ 1.8.2

Hmmm. Looks like last attempt to mod this entry didn’t work. Trying again.

Giving new host links, just changed this week.

Single Post:
    https://staging-clarkcountylivecom.kinsta.cloud/ci-events/test-lorem-ipsum-4/?event_rdate=20190604000000,20190604000000

Event category archive:
    https://staging-clarkcountylivecom.kinsta.cloud/event-category/schools-and-youth-events/

Event custom taxonomy archive:
    https://staging-clarkcountylivecom.kinsta.cloud/ci-calendar/salmon-creek/

Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

So it’s only the single events which aren’t respecting your sidebar settings? What about the archives?

Can you link me to one of these events possibly?

Mitch Canton

Hey Tom,

It happens on both the Single Event and in any of the “event-” archives (category, calendar, type).

I ended up creating an Elementor template to see if I could get that working and was able to get a sidebar/content/sidebar layout that I was trying to achieve with GP. Candidly, I’d prefer to have it all done via GP if possible. (although I can’t give you a reason ‘why’ I’d prefer that, as I’m brand new to both and maybe it shouldn’t matter?) πŸ™‚

It’s all on a staging site. I’d prefer not to post links and don’t see a way to make replies as private?

Thanks.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

you can edit your original topic and change the Site URL there.

Mitch Canton

Hey David,

Made change. Was first post here, so didn’t catch the forum/no forum option. Doh! πŸ™‚

Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Any chance you can send us temporary admin login details so we can take a closer look?: https://generatepress.com/contact

Let me know πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Your “Single Product” Layout Element has the right sidebar set, and it’s set to your entire site. I wonder if it’s overwriting your other Layout. Can you try excluding single events from that Element?

Mitch Canton

Ah, I remember working on that, and really struggling to accomplish what I wanted with a Single Product layout. I think in a ‘rage quit’ moment I shoved Entire Site in there as a display rule, it failed, and I just walked away to grab a beer. πŸ™‚

Removing Entire Site on that does solve the sidebars issue on Events and event archives. Now to try and recall the issue/objective with the single product element…

Thank you. Have a great day!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad I could help πŸ™‚

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.