[Resolved] GP Direction – whats the roadmap?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GP Direction – whats the roadmap?

Home Forums Support GP Direction – whats the roadmap?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Samuel

Gutenberg and WordPress are currently being strongly influenced. Is that an understatement? Perhaps! If you look at this post (https://make.wordpress.org/core/2019/11/02/join-the-gutenberg-customization-conversations/), I have the feeling that WordPress is about to have a second birth. I would be very interested to know which direction GP is working in. How does GP deal with widgets? How about the menu? How about the Full Site edditing? Does GP get its own blocks?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

I’ve been deeply into Gutenberg since it was released, and have been particularly interested in how it will affect themes.

We’ve been working on our own block plugin which has been coded and designed the “GP way”. Super excited to release it.

The beautiful thing about GP is how we’ve been able to keep it light and simple, which will continue to make GP relevant even as the landscape changes.

The idea behind full site editing is great, but I’m not sold on how core is going to do it. We’re taking steps to achieve this in our own way, and have most of it built already. More on this coming in GP Premium 1.10 🙂

Samuel

The idea behind full site editing is great, but I’m not sold on how core is going to do it. We’re taking steps to achieve this in our own way, and have most of it built already. More on this coming in GP Premium 1.10

Well, I’m curious about that. I am not really such a big friend of theme or plugin based change. I can also design my menu with Elementor, but I would never do that. I follow what WordPress recommends. I still hope GP will somehow follow the path that WordPress Core takes.

As an example: I can also build sections in GP. But that is superfluous and no longer useful. Or? Now everything runs over blocks and a feature like that doesn’t make sense to me.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’ve never been one to wander too far off the WordPress path (unless necessary, like when Sections was developed). Will definitely be interested in your feedback once we release the new feature 🙂

Samuel

Okay, thanks for the approach. Maybe this is interesting: As a user, I see the work in the theme mainly in the area of styling and speed. Another approach might be ionic? Could be and certainly very future-oriented…

If Gutenberg no longer classifies the menu block as an experiment, then that’s a clear direction. I hope GP uses this feature and rethinks the approach of how GP and WordPress work together.

Klaus

Hello,

“We’ve been working on our own block plugin which has been coded and designed the “GP way”. Super excited to release it.”

Do you have any timeline for this, you mentioned version 1.10. would be the moment… I have built a lot of my websites with sections, so I am really waiting for this release. Regards

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m not really one for timelines – I like things to be 99% stable before I release them. It’s getting very close 🙂

Samuel

Hello dear GP and GB Team,

as a big fan of yours, I am interested (and I think many other developers/designers as well) in how you handle FSE. This post has made me very thoughtful: https://wptavern.com/gutenberg-9-3-provides-indicator-of-where-full-site-editing-is-going-a-future-without-widgets-and-customizer-screens

The complete infrastructure is not only changed in writing, but also in design. I can imagine that this is an enormous step and unsettles many theme developers. How do you deal with it? Do you have the goal to become an FSE-Theme? If not, how do you deal with it in the long run?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m watching it closely – it’s still far too early to know how existing themes will adapt to this, or if it will even take hold as a “new” way of doing things. The way GP works even right now with Block Elements is far more flexible than FSE.

Klaus

Hello, I entered this conversation some time ago. I agree, that Block Elements is really a wonderful and super-easy tool to compose perfect websites. I guess GeneratePress is the future of WordPress-Design, not the other way around. Best Regards.

Samuel

Hi Tom,

thanks for your comment.

In my whole setup I use your plugins the most. GP, GB and now also WPShowPosts. I am exaggerating a little bit: But my whole life (at least my income) depends on it. Yeah yeah I know: a bit exaggerated, but it is partly already so that I have made myself very dependent on you and I am very interested in where the journey will go in the next years. My personal opinion is the following: Gutenberg is going to win in the long run. Themes and some Plugins have to dress warmly with FSE. The best example: Elementor has no future for me in the long run. They missed the jump… With this comment, I would like to say: “Tom, I love your plugins and I am thrilled with you as a developer and with your team. I would like to use best only your products. Please stay Gutenberg-UptoDate!” 🙂

@klaus
    well, I’m not so sure. If you look at the current development of FSE, 2021 will be a time of radical change. Current theme developers will have to be very careful and keep up with this.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I totally understand, and I agree. You can be sure that I’m going to keep on top of things – we will adapt if needed 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.