[Resolved] GP Child (Prem) + Elementor (reg), challenges in creating & editing

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GP Child (Prem) + Elementor (reg), challenges in creating & editing

Home Forums Support GP Child (Prem) + Elementor (reg), challenges in creating & editing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JoEllen

Hello,

I’m a mental health professional trying to build her own website. My sincerest apologies for stinking up a development forum with my less-than-basic knowledge. [I’m sure I’m attempting to go down this road because of a small amount of previous experience with software testing and HTML – AND, it’s creative work and I’d like to have my hands in it πŸ™‚ ] I have GP Premium 1.3.1 (GP 1.3.46), using GP Child theme (1.3.46.1492462787), and have been trying to use Elementor 1.4.9 to build my pages. I have a somewhat decent, but less than ideal, homepage (http://heritagecounselingmn.com/), but I’m struggling figuring out why I’m not able to make simple changes to things like font style/family or color, for example [for ex., my Home page name text is a lovely dark gray, but it’s not the color I want, but I’m unable to change it]. Are GP Child & Elementor compatible? I am also checking with Elementor’s support. I’m reluctant to change code (I can download a file and look at it, but beyond that I’d be well within a danger zone). Other than asking whether these (GP Child + Elementor) are compatible, I’m not sure what else to ask . . . hoping that something may be obvious to someone and can help direct me to the next little bite that I’ll try to chew.

Thanks so much for your attention to this!
    JoE

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

No apologies πŸ™‚ We are always here to help!

It depends on what you are trying to modify since you are using Elementor.

Having a quick look at the page, looks like all the styles and content are from Elementor Except the navigation and copyright section.

For those two sections you can use the GP’s customizer:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/typography-overview/
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/colors-overview/

For the contents that are from Elementor you would change it within the plugin itself.

Let me know if this makes sense or if you need more info πŸ™‚

JoEllen

Thank you, Leo, for the support and the info. I was of the understanding that I could use Elementor in my page building to change color and typography – that Elementor selections would ‘override’ (my word) and be the driving selections, but that doesn’t seem to be happening. I did read the two Customizer docs you referenced and have tried several things, including deactivating Typography in Appearance/GP/Premium – didn’t seem to impact anything, Elementor still doesn’t let me change color or font. I exported my Default Settings and then made changes to my font headings, exported again, could confirm the changes in the export, but again, Elementor doesn’t seem to respond any differently. I agree – I would expect that Elementor would be able to make the simply font family and color changes I am requesting. I will wait for their response to why this isn’t working for me. Thank you again!

Lyle

Jo Ellen –

On all of my sites with GP, GP-P and Elementor (free), the very first thing I do after installing and activating Elementor is to go to Dashboard > Elementor > Settings and tick the two checkboxes that Disable Global Colors and Disable Global Fonts > Save Changes. Doing this allows the GeneratePress font and color settings you make in Customize to be the defaults in any of your Elementor pages. You can, however, change these within Elementor by turning on Typography in the Style tab of most elements.

In my opinion, one want the fonts and colors to be controlled by the theme, with the ability to override via the page builder πŸ™‚ Hope this helps πŸ™‚

Cheers!
    Lyle

JoEllen

Thank you, Lyle! I will try this in the near future (too late tonight!).

Regards,
    JoEllen

JoEllen

I think I found it! Lyle, I did already have Disable Global Fonts / Colors in Elementor > Settings. And thanks for the tip as you wrote it – reading it in your words put meaning behind the action (likely a reaction) I took in disabling Global Fonts / Colors in Elementor. Additionally, I had an inactive plug-in called Fonts Add (or Fonts Ad, just one ‘d’ – at least I believe it was called something like this – a Google search on this just now returns nothing called either of those). I deleted it and suddenly it seem I can change my fonts AND that they are set to my GeneratePress > Customize fonts!! Thanks, Lyle and Leo, for the help and support. I’ll mark this resolved.

JoEllen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.