[Support request] GP 1.7 Elements module: Element Classes and Background Image for Site Header?

Home Forums Support [Support request] GP 1.7 Elements module: Element Classes and Background Image for Site Header?

Home Forums Support GP 1.7 Elements module: Element Classes and Background Image for Site Header?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ward

Is there some reason why Page Hero in the new Elements module in GP Premium 1.7 has a field for custom Element Classes and also lets you upload a custom Background Image, but Site Header does not offer either of those? Those would be immensely useful and time-saving.

For my personal site, I use one site header for the blog, but a number of other custom site headers for pages that focus on different freelance business activities of mine. Currently, for the pages that need a custom site header, I use the Page Header module to substitute a different site logo, plus a line of CSS in the Simple CSS box for each page to swap in a different background image in place of the site-wide header’s background image.

It works great, but there’s one series of pages for the site like this with a custom site header and logo that currently numbers about 20 pages, and will soon run to 50+, with more added periodically after that. If I were to ever change the background image for those pages, I would need to go in and manually copy/paste new CSS into the Simple CSS box for all those pages. However, if the Site Header pane in the new Elements module offered custom element classes or let you specify a custom background image, it could be done with one simple change there.

I’ve already tried seeing if Site Hero in the new Elements module could replicate the same layout behavior I’m getting now with site headers (particularly the responsive aspect as screen size changes), but no dice. It would be great if you could extend these same two pieces of functionality available in Page Hero to Site Header as well.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Being able to add a custom class to the site header element is a good idea. I can think of a few cases where that would be helpful.

I’m not sure if it will make into 1.7, as GP 2.2 will have a whole new attributes system which GPP will be able to use to add classes etc..

However, I’ll do some testing to see if we can make it work in the initial 1.7 release (while keeping compatibility with 2.2 later).

Thank you!

Ward

Thanks Tom, that’s good news — I’ll look forward to it!

Really loving GeneratePress. Former Headway user here left in the lurch after the company unexpectedly went out of business. Some of the other users were talking up GP. Did research on the best alternatives, trialed GP against your direct competition getting good press recently, but for me it was no contest. GP definitely shows the evidence of more TLC and across-the-board consistency and lack of squirrelly behavior in the user interface, plus operation has been rock-solid.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s great to hear! Thanks so much 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.