[Resolved] GP 1.4/GPP 1.4.3 upgrade problems

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GP 1.4/GPP 1.4.3 upgrade problems

Home Forums Support GP 1.4/GPP 1.4.3 upgrade problems

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    NBC

The upgrade to 1.4/1.4.3 deleted my footer/copyright text altogether and replaced it with a generic GP copyright notice. Fortunately, I had saved a PDF of every page of the pre-upgrade site and was able to copy and paste the text from there, although I have no idea what size 10.5-point type is in pixels. (Acrobat Pro doesn’t comprehend pixels as a measurement of type.)

The problem I can’t seem to solve is that the Font Awesome Twitter icon in my menu bar has turned black, which (with a black menu bar) is the same thing as being invisible. The icon’s still there because the link shows up in the browser status line when you hover your cursor at the right end of the menu bar.

How/where do I fix this? The menu text color is set to white.

Everything was fine until I upgraded. 8-(

The site is here.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

The link to the site is not working. Can you please double check?

Thanks!

NBC

Please try the link again. Thank you!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Strange about the copyright – nothing has changed in that code for months. What versions did you update from?

As for the Font Awesome icon, can you try clearing your Autoptimize cache/any other caching plugins you might be using?

NBC

Hi, Tom:

No caching plug-ins per se, but I cycld Autoptimize.

No change. Still no Twitter icon.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Can you temporarily disable Autoptimize and then let me know?

NBC

“cycled Autoptimize” (yes, I actually do know how to type, appearances to the contrary)

BTW, I went from GP 1.3.48 and GPP 1.3.1 to GP 1.4 and GPP 1.4.3.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, you’re using the Font Awesome Essentials filter, which only includes the essential icons that GP needs to work: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_fontawesome_essentials/

If you remove that function, the entire FA library will load and you’ll be able to see the Twitter icon.

NBC

Disabled Autoptimize. No change. (BTW, I followed your recommendations to the letter.)

Also tried commenting out your PHP code to reduce down FA for speed’s sake. No change.

I’m following most but not quite all of your optimization recommendations, BTW.
    Async Javascript
    Disable emojis

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The essentials filter looks like it’s still activated. Can you double-check?

NBC

That did it.

I kept editing the copy of functions.php associated with the version of the site on my localhost dev server. πŸ™‚ Not so difficult to understand when you realize that I only made this site live online last night. I’m launching my Kickstarter project on Wednesday.

I thought the FA-pruning code spared any glyphs in use on an active site. AFAIK, all I need are the menu arrow and the Twitter logo, unless GP relies on anything else. Building a custom typeface is tricky without a current font-editing tool. All I have is an ancient edition of Fontographer, and that won’t work with OpenType.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I would like to figure out a way to let people choose the icons they want to load – hopefully a future feature.

GladI was able to help πŸ™‚

NBC

Thanks, Tom!

I’ve been working on this site and the concept underlying it for more than a year. GP/GPP really made a big difference!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Great to hear πŸ™‚ Thank you!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.