[Resolved] Google PageSpeed Insights

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Google PageSpeed Insights

Home Forums Support Google PageSpeed Insights

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andy

Hi Tom,

I’m aware Google’s Pagespeed isn’t the best tool to use for testing site performance but I believe the results can affect Google Ranking so would like some advice on this.

I would like to fix the issue of it detecting the fact that some images are being resized by the browser. So even though I have set a thumbnail size of 690×499 in WP Show Posts and Customizer>Layout>Blog, this is still larger than they need to be when the layout is displayed on desktop or mobile.

Is the only way to get GP to generate a smaller thumbnail by going into the wordpress Media Settings and adding a thumnbnail size there?.
    The problem is, this will generate a thumbnail everytime I upload a new image which may not always be required and will use up server disk space and file usage.

Is there any other solution?.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I wouldn’t worry too much about that. 690px isn’t very wide at all, especially with our big phone screens are these days.

Google cares about how fast your site is. If those images are optimized and only 690px wide, you won’t have any issues.

Andy

Ok thanks for your input, I will defer to your expert opinion 🙂

It’s strange because pingdom gives it a 96 or A rating and if you hover over the number that is apparently the Google Pagespeed score, but I only get 74 when actually running it through Pagespeed.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Google really needs to do something about their tool – it needs a lot of love.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.