[Resolved] Google Fonts with latest theme version 3.2

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Google Fonts with latest theme version 3.2

Home Forums Support Google Fonts with latest theme version 3.2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ch1800

Hello,

I’m already using the plugin Local Google Fonts that seems to load hose fonts locally as seen in this example.

Before updating to GP 3.2 the Typography section under Customizer looked like that with the checkbox for Google Fonts being checked.

After updating, the checkbox remained checked but the title changed and now refers to the API and my fonts are still loaded locally according to Local Google Fonts.

When unchecking this box for one of those fonts, the result displaying in Customizer screen next to Typography settings gets another font, something like a default serif that really doesn’t look like anything close to the Google font that was in use.

What is the recommended action after updating in such circumstances while using the Local Google Fonts plugin?
    Leave things as they are with the checkbox checked or else?

Thanks.

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hello there,

To clarify, have you added all those 3 fonts through your plugin.

If it’s locally hosted, Google Font/Use Google Fonts API shouldn’t be checked.

Did you have this checked before the update?

ch1800

All those Google Fonts have been in use long before the plugin Local Google Fonts was launched.
    So, no, those fonts are not added by the plugin but they are locally loaded instead.
    What the plugin does is create a local copy of them.

This option was already checked before the update as seen in this screenshot I posted above.
    After the update it remains checked and only its title changed.

Problem is that if I uncheck it I get wrong fonts.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

that toggle has only changed its label, it does the same function it did previously.

The Local Google Fonts plugin you’re using looks for any API calls to Google fonts. It download the fonts, writes the CSS etc. and then removes the Google Font API requests.

So for you – you should keep the Use Google Fonts API activated, so GP makes those API requests that the plugin will then replace.

ch1800

Thanks David, got it.

Would then make any sense to rather disable this plugin and then uncheck your own option?
    In other words, does your Typography option perform the same job as this plugin?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

In other words, does your Typography option perform the same job as this plugin?

No, it does not do the same job.
    It will be something we look to add in the future.

If you want to remove the plugin then you would need to locally host the fonts:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-local-fonts/

Then you can uncheck that option, as your local @font-face CSS will the the work 🙂

ch1800

Thanks for this, I see.
    I’ll then keep things as they are and will wait to see what happens when you integrate something similar.

Thanks again, all my best.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.