[Support request] Google Fonts and Site Speed

Home Forums Support [Support request] Google Fonts and Site Speed

Home Forums Support Google Fonts and Site Speed

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Edin

I’m using two Google fonts throughout the site, and I understand that this is slowing down the site speed.

My question is, will there be significant gains in speed when I download and upload the fonts to my server (as described here)?

Also, would there be a significant difference in using system fonts only?

Thanks,
    Edin

GeneratePress 2.1.4
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

reducing DNS lookups and external requests would improve speed, but apart from clients located close to your server i don’t think the difference would be that noticeable. Far away clients may see the opposite.
    One benefit of the Google served font is there is a high chance (if using common fonts) that the browser may already have them cached from other sites they have visited.

You can of course remove the Font Varients you are not using in the Customizer > Typography settings to reduce the overall font file size.

System stack would be the quickest as all of the fonts are local to the user.

Edin

Thank you David.

I‘m using a CDN, would that make a difference?

I tried the System Stack fonts, but I disliked the overall design, and you lose control over it.

Thanks,
    Edin

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

CDN can improve the speed of distribution for remote users. Whether its quicker then the Google CDN would have to be tested.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.