[Support request] google fonts 400 error even though no google fonts loaded.

Home Forums Support google fonts 400 error even though no google fonts loaded.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1332081
    Joel

    Hello,

    I’ve had a recurring problem with google fonts not loading and causing 400 errors on a number of pages for my site. I don’t use google fonts and only use the system fonts.

    As far as I know, all font options are set to system fonts (I went through and checked with ‘customise’).

    I have a few pages that use Elementor, but the fonts within Elementor are set to system fonts, too.

    Basically, I’m not using any non-system fonts on my site at all. I have turned off any options to optimize loading of google fonts and don’t think I have any widgets that should use google fonts.

    The waterfall reports I get show the following ‘400’ error problems:
    https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=:600
    https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=:600

    Please note, this only happens on some of my pages, not all of them. I’ve yet to find a common link between the pages that might be causing this.

    Here are some of the pages affected with GT Metrix reports to illustrate the problem further:
    https://joelstraveltips.com/spring-festivals-in-korea/
    https://gtmetrix.com/reports/joelstraveltips.com/P9RAa14O

    https://joelstraveltips.com/teaching-english-in-korea-with-epik/
    https://gtmetrix.com/reports/joelstraveltips.com/sqxRWfjg

    These fonts are also causing ‘add expires headers’ issues in the YSlow report.

    Do you know of any way to remove these fonts at all as I don’t use them and they’re throwing up errors on many pages?

    Thanks

    #1332138
    Joel

    It looks like I have this CSS loading the fonts –
    <link rel=”stylesheet” id=”generate-fonts-css” href=”//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Droid+Serif:regular,italic,700,700italic” type=”text/css” media=”all”>

    But I have no idea why or how to remove it.

    #1332287
    Joel

    Would it be advisable to preload these fonts? If so, any idea how I can do that?

    #1332290
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

    Hi there,

    looks like a font was selected for the Top Bar.
    Temporarily add a widget to the Top Bar. Then you can select Customizer > Typography > Top Bar – check there to see if a google font is selected.

    #1332317
    Joel

    Hi, I tried that and the Droid font was selected for the top bar. I changed it to Helvetica and then removed the widget.

    I’ve cleared the cache and reloaded the page but the 2 font errors still seems to be there, however.

    #1332345
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

    Have you tried clearing and disabling your cache plugins?

    If still an issue then try disabling Google requests using the PHP Snippet here:

    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/remove-google-fonts/

    #1332861
    Joel

    Hi,

    I’ve added those snippets. I’ll see if it makes any difference and get back to you in the morning.

    Thanks

    #1333418
    Joel

    Hi, I’ve checked this morning and the errors are still appearing, even after adding both of those snippets. Any other ideas?

    #1333663
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

    In the <head> of your site is this broken request:

    <link href="//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=:600" rel="stylesheet">

    This is not added by the theme. Have you added Fonts using any other method such as a Hook, a function or a plugin ?

    #1333671
    Joel

    I think they were added by OMGF in the past, but I no longer have that plugin installed.

    Is it easy to remove this?

    Thanks

    #1333795
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

    If that is the only plugin / function you have added in regards to fonts then it may be worth checking with the plugin author.

    Before doing that you may want to test by disabling all other plugins to see if one of them is causing it.

    You can check whether that font request is being made on your site without GT Metrix. Simply Right Click > Inspect the Page. In the Console you will see Red Errors and it will be listed there.

    #1334249
    Joel

    Looks like it was Ultimate Addons for Gutenberg that was causing the problem. Thanks for the help. I’ll see if they can sort it out.

    #1334257
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

    Aaahh … good find. Thanks for letting us know about it!

    #1334260
    Joel

    Thanks for all your help.

    #1334267
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.