[Support request] Google flagging slow page speed for mobile

Home Forums Support [Support request] Google flagging slow page speed for mobile

Home Forums Support Google flagging slow page speed for mobile

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Evan

Hi –

Long-time Generatepress Premium user, thanks for the great product!

I have a site speed issue/question for you:

I’ve been getting a page speed error in Google Search Console flagging all of my blog posts as “slow” (taking longer than 3 seconds to load.

When I dug into it, I noticed that Google was giving my desktop blog posts a score of around 80 out of 100, pretty good (even though it’s still taking a bit longer than 3 seconds). When I looked at the mobile score, however, Google was giving the same blog posts a score of 28/100.

It looks like the culprit for both desktop and mobile is “remove unused CSS” and “eliminate render-blocking resources”.

For desktop, the improvement would be fairly nominal, around 0.43 seconds for the unused CSS and 0.29 seconds for the render-blocking resources. For mobile, however, Google is telling me that removing the unused CSS can save my mobile blog posts as much as 3.2 seconds, and 1.26 seconds for eliminating render-blocking resources.

My question is – is there a theme-specific issue/reason why there’d be such a large discrepancy between desktop and mobile site load speed? I’m using a child theme for Generatepress Premium and have recently optimized my hosting with Siteground (and the SG optimizer plugin which helps with the lazy loading, minifying JS, etc), as well as removed all unnecessary plugins, etc.

I’m wondering if there is a fix for the theme itself that can help increase site speed, especially on mobile. Any insight appreciated!

– Evan

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

There wouldn’t be a theme-related reason why there’s such a difference.

When I look at your source, I’m seeing a lot of javascript files loading separately. The easiest fix would be to combine those as you’ve done with your CSS.

OptinMonster is also loading a number of external javascript calls, which is definitely not going to help your page speed: https://www.screencast.com/t/DoFdJPz1vhS

If you’re able to clean up all of the javascript, you should see big improvements.

Evan

Thanks for the info Tom, I’ll look into it!

Evan

Actually Tom one question for you if you had a moment –

I’m not a developer and I’m looking into a plugin that will help combine my JS into one file.

For the CSS, the Siteground Optimizer plugin combines the CSS, but for whatever reason there isn’t a combine JS option.

So, doing a bit of research, it looks like Autoptimize plugin might be the best out there for combining JS – do you guys have a preferred plugin you recommend for combining the JS, or will Autoptimize do the trick?

– Evan

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

you may want to drop SG Optimizer in favour of Autoptimize – read more here:

https://generatepress.com/fastest-wordpress-theme/

Yvette

Hi GeneratePress,

Also experiences trouble with slow website on mobile for:
    https://www.laaneoversikten.no/zen-finans/

Has tried to optimize by removing a list of YouTube listing and added an image of google map instead of having iframe map.

The page still load slow on mobile (while is better on desktop). Is using the test:
    PageSpeed Iinsights

I get the message that I can save 2,25 s if I remove unused Java Scrips. I am using Autooptimize. Tried to fill inn all recommendations from your article
    Configuring Autoptimize, but was afraid to check off number four under JavaScript Options called Also aggregate inline JS (was afraid because there is a warning saying: Warning: this can make Autoptize’s cache size grow quickly, so only enable this if you know what you’re doing.

Hope you can help me.

Kind regards,
    Yvette

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

I get the message that I can save 2,25 s if I remove unused Java Scrips. I am using Autooptimize. Tried to fill inn all recommendations from your article
    Configuring Autoptimize, but was afraid to check off number four under JavaScript Options called Also aggregate inline JS (was afraid because there is a warning saying: Warning: this can make Autoptize’s cache size grow quickly, so only enable this if you know what you’re doing.

You can try it out to see if something breaks. You can always disable it again if there are any issues.

Optimization is a trial and error process. 🙂

Yvette

Thanks for quick feedback. Sorry, when I went back to try it out as suggested, I saw that it was already checked off. So this was not the problem.

I also remove the cache (at top of the dashboard of WordPress with Autoptimize several times a day). On the PageSpeedInsight it stands I should remove unused js to save 2,25 s (link above for test). Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong since my page was super fast last fall when I started with GP and Autoptimize?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

the main improvements flagged by google are related to the YouTube video.

Theres a few methods to resolve that – some specific youtube plugins like these:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-youtube-lyte/

https://wordpress.org/plugins/lazy-load-for-videos/

Yvette

Hi,

Thanks again for quick update, and advices. One more question before testing it out, because I try desperately to avoid more plugins as I loose more and more control with each plugin, and each plugins needs to work with the other plugins also.

I try to learn from GeneratePress, because you are truly the best. I see on https://docs.generatepress.com/article/installing-gp-premium/ there is video. Your page seems fast. Is the video put into the page the same way as I did it? Maybe there is a smart way to do this without plugins? Or maybe I did not embed it a good way on the webpage?

YB

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

generatepress.com video player was custom developed using Lity Javascript. If you’re into code then its great… but its not plugin and play.

Those plugins do the exact same thing without the need for you to change how you add videos to your site.
    Unless WP decides to add that function to their core blocks – the plugins are the best way to go.

Yvette

Hi GP,

Thanks for the information. Just installed https://wordpress.org/plugins/lazy-load-for-videos/. Choose that one because the explanation on their webpage was a bit better for no tech person as me even though the Stars rate was about 0.5 less than WP YouTube Lite that has 5 stars (and more installations, review and translations).Very happy. Now the webpage load at least 3 seconds faster. Great thanks/YB

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Awesome – glad we could be of help!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.