[Resolved] Google Analytics Tag Duplication

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Google Analytics Tag Duplication

Home Forums Support Google Analytics Tag Duplication

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Scott

Hi

I’m in the process of being set up with an advertising network and they have identified that I have duplicate Google Analytics tracking codes installed.

However, we’re having trouble tracking down where these codes are located. The ad network suggested I clear server level caching which I have done but this didn’t fix the issue.

Would you mind please taking a look?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Can you check Hooks Element first?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/hooks-element-overview/

That’s the only place you should be adding GA code in GP.

Let me know 🙂

Scott

Hi Leo

Thanks for your reply.

Neither of the Analytics tracking codes are located in the Hooks Element from what I can see. I’m aware this is the correct place for them to be added. I think they would have been added prior to the launch of GP Elements – would this make a difference?

I’m using the Google Tag Assistant Chrome plugin which confirms there are two instances of the Analytics code on the site.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

in Appearance > Elements can you see Legacy Hooks button at the top of the screen?
    If so check inside there.

If not – do you have a child theme functions.php or the Code Snippets plugin installed. This is where the codes could also be.

Scott

Hi David

I hadn’t noticed the Legacy Hooks button so thanks for pointing that out. There was indeed a Google Analytics Global site tag (gtag.js) there.

After disabling this, Google Tag Assistant now reports only one occurrence of the analytics code, which is great. My remaining issues are:
    – I don’t know where the remaining analytics code is located
    – Google Tag Assistant is reporting that the remaining code is a non-standard implementation, meaning they have detected Google Tag Manager web requests, but were not able to find the code snippet on the page.

Regarding your final point, I’m not using a child theme, I am using the Code Snippets plugin but there are no snippets containing analytics code.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Have you checked any Plugins?

Scott

Hi David

I’ve found the remaining code – in my Google Tag Manager setup I had implemented a Universal Analytics Tag.

Thanks again for your help.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to hear you found the answer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.