Good resource for learning default WP specific CSS?

Home Forums Support Good resource for learning default WP specific CSS?

Home Forums Support Good resource for learning default WP specific CSS?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    albabes

Hi Tom,

What is a good website for learning default WordPress theme specific CSS?
    Im learned CSS up to v2 in the late 90’s and early 2K’s. Dropped out b4 learning Css3.

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Every theme is different, so there’s no real place to learn theme specific CSS that will apply to all themes.

Your best bet is to learn to use the Inspect Element functionality of your browser.

If you’re using Chrome, just right click and select “Inspect”.

If you’re using Firefox, install the Firebug extension.

These tools let you comb through the HTML of the theme and shows you the CSS that applies to each element.

It can be super helpful in understanding the workings of the theme and overwriting styles etc..

Hope this helps ๐Ÿ™‚

albabes

So the “selectors”
    selector { property: value }
    I see repeated over and over in some themes don’t have some commonality? Must, since I see some “selectors” used over and over in Divi, Genesis, your GeneratePress, Catchbox, 2015 & 2016 themes, etc?

Have you used the free child theme plugin called Orbisius-child-theme-creator?
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/orbisius-child-theme-creator/screenshots/

Its like any other Child Theme plug with ONE EXCEPTION: It gives you a editable “side-by-side-comparo” of the current child theme Css file, AND any other theme css file you have installed.

See screenshot Tom.
    http://tucson-webdesign.com/Orbisius-side-by-side-comparo.png

That is how I’ve begun to see similarities in “some selectors” in various Frameworks.

Al

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah yea, well all CSS is formatted that way. What you’re seeing there is CSS specific to HTML elements, which are always the same (body, nav, div, a p etc..).

Your best starting point would probably be codecademy.com or something similar – it will get you going with CSS pretty quickly ๐Ÿ™‚

albabes

Thank yuou Tom

albabes

PS. You i didn’t comment on the Orbisius plugin, no interest in it?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’ve never used it, but I’m not sure what the purpose is? It’s very easy to create a child theme without using a plugin.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.