[Resolved] GeneratePress Licensing Agreement

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GeneratePress Licensing Agreement

Home Forums Support GeneratePress Licensing Agreement

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    PHILIP

Hello Tom and Leo

Do you have an up to date statement, in plain English.
    That we could show our customers or clients.
    Explaining that they can, or can not, legally use our licence on their sites please?

Most importantly could you clarify exactly what a client is.

The first question on your premium page is…

How many sites can I use GP Premium on?
    You are free to use GP Premium on as many websites as you like, whether they’re for you or your clients.

Some theme shops say…
    You are welcome to use our themes to develop full websites that can be sold.

Some say…
    You can only use this theme/plugin on sites YOU own.

Or…
    You can only use this theme/plugin on a site if the client pays you a regular fee for site maintenance.

There are many old posts on this topic such as…
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/business-model/page/2/#post-214613

Do you have an up to date statement, in plain English.
    That we could show our customers or clients.
    Explaining that they can, or can not, legally use our licence on their sites please?

PS. With the site library, GeneratePress is snapping at the heels of the big gunns!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Philip,

Since GP and GP Premium are GPL, there’s very few restrictions on the actual software.

As for the license key, you’re allowed to use it on all of your client sites freely. The only thing we don’t want to see is public sharing of the key.

However, we always suggest that new license keys are purchased for each client. There’s a couple reasons for this:

1. It supports our product and company.
    2. It gives your client their own license key which they can keep up to date, in case you choose not to.
    3. It gives the client access to our support forum, so we can help them with GP related questions.

Let me know if that’s more clear, or if you need more info.

Thanks! 🙂

PHILIP

Thanks Tom

What I was thinking of is something like this…

1. Always encourage the client to buy their own key.
    2. Only consider using my key if the client has an ongoing maintenance agreement with me.

The problem
    When the client sees the “use it on as many sites as you like” statement they won’t want to get their own key.

A possible solution
    Is it acceptable to tell clients “I can use my key to build your site, provided that I maintain your site after I build it”?

Thanks, and good luck with the new Sites Library, this could be a game changer.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That sounds like a great way to word it.

You can also sell them on the benefit of having their own account in the forums here for when they have questions.

Thanks! Lots of cool plans for the Site Library 🙂

PHILIP

Thanks Tom

That sounds like good plan.

The GeneratePress support is legendary, clients can easily see that a licence is worth much more than it costs.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thank you! Really appreciate that 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.