- This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 9 years, 2 months ago by Tom.
September 30, 2014 at 8:02 am #35416Nick
I’m currently investigating for an image gallery which is responsive, lightweight (less is more), with navigation, good translation and easy to use / automatic publishing of galleries after they’re created. I wouldn’t have thought that it’ll be so hard before to find a suitable one.
– NextGEN Gallery is interesting, but it doesn’t offer me the ability of a intuitive navigation (when you’re in one gallery, you don’t know how to come back in the album of galleries) and the backend isn’t easy to use for greenhorns. Btw. NextGEN Gallery works good with Generatepress and Forefront Theme.
– Envira Gallery is my absolute favorite with regard to performance, memory-usage of this plugin is fantastic marginal. Also it works perfect with your (Tom’s;-) Addons after your modifications regarding isotope and masonry. Sadly, Envira Gallery got no navigation or possibility of a gallery-summary et cetera. So at most I could provide sites for every gallery, but I can’t expect that for my future wordpress autors.
I tested a couple of other galleries (“Gallery Photos”, “WP Photo Album Plus”, and many others) and at this point I’m at “Gallery” (Free-Edition from Bestwebsoft), which fulfilled our functional needs. But also with “Gallery” I got problems; at this point cosmetic ones with Generatepress and/or Forefront Theme. 😉
Gallery is working with site templates and is compatible with e.g. wordpress themes like twenty twelve / thirteen / fourteen. Summary of the site-templates:
– Gallery Template site-template (gallery-template.php) –> sites assigned with this template are showing a summary of all galleries.
– gallery-single-template.php –> the sites where the content of galleries (images) are shown.
There are conflicts on sites with both templates. E.g. at the sites with gallery-template.php there is the right sidebar shown at the site footer area and the content/headline in all isn’t in a white bin.
@Tom, you got credentials for my testsite. You can find the site with galleries on “Über uns” (about us) > “Bildergalerien” (picture galleries). I know, it’ll be an easy for you to fix that as a workaround, but I’ll be very pleased in a stable solution in generatepress / forefront-theme for my productive site. 😉
In advance, thank you very much!
NickSeptember 30, 2014 at 9:54 am #35462TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
I’m not a big fan of when plugins try to guess what will work with most themes, however, these tweaks should work.
Open the two gallery template files, and do the following:
<?php get_header(); ?>add:
<div id="primary" <?php generate_content_class();?>> <main id="main" <?php generate_main_class(); ?> itemprop="mainContentOfPage" role="main">
<?php get_sidebar(); ?> <?php get_footer(); ?>
</main><!-- #main --> </div><!-- #primary --> <?php do_action('generate_sidebars'); get_footer(); ?>
That should do it.
Let me know 🙂September 30, 2014 at 3:17 pm #35511Nick
thanks for your fast reply. 🙂 Unfortunately your code works, but only in parts, see my following results:
– gallery-template.php = The sidebar- and footer-widgets are gone, yeah. 🙂 But the content (also the headline / site name) is still not in a white bin / border / frame, the css is differing to generatepress/forefront. Looks not like an unity.
– gallery-single-template.php = The sidebar-widget is gone, but the footer-widgets are present. Also the same design-problems are present as describe above. Also there is a white frame under the content area. with the pictures.
If you wanna look at my site, feel free! Also you could find the original-files here:
Generally my problem is, that i got exactly 0.0% knowledge of PHP, HTML, Ajax, CSS and other Web-/Programing-Languages. I’m quite sure, that we could resolve the problem together quick and dirty, but i don’t think that this is an intermediate- and long-term solution. I can’t waste your time and and flogging a dead horse (Gallery, because of it’s bad architecture). E.g. when they’re updating the gallery templates, our changes will be lost and i’m at the same point as I’m now.
So i think it’ll be the best to create a clean but user-unkindly termination. That means, i’ll install the Envira-Gallery Plugin again and build up a static gallery with sites and static preview-pictures. I still don’t understand that there is no dynamic, lightweight, guidance Gallery Plugin with an easy interface and a clean setup compatible with most themes. And beside of that, with no necessity changing code.
Do you have any other idea solution / plugin-recommendation? Perhaps a Generatepress Addon, for simple gallery- and album-creation, navigation and or file browsing incl. lightboxes and dynamics would be very very nice. 🙂
Greetings and gn8
NickOctober 1, 2014 at 9:15 am #35733TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
Do you have any examples of what you’re looking for when it comes to a gallery?
I don’t have a whole lot of experience with galleries – I usually keep it simple and use WordPress’ built in gallery system.
Let me know if there’s a website out there that’s doing what you want, and I’ll see if I can come up with a solution for you 🙂October 1, 2014 at 2:30 pm #35832Nick
thanks for your answer. 🙂
The built in WordPress’ gallery system, what do you mean with that?
I think categorize und publish of the uploaded media files in wordpress would be the best, but i can’t find any onboard-tools for fixing that static condition.
So, some examples of what i mean.
1) clean look & usage, my favourite: http://www.rallye-magazin.de/galerien/index.html (based on typo3)
2) like the look & feel of this gallery / breadcrumb (by the way, the navigation here is weird, click on PHOTO ALBUMS and you’re at the main site. Strange!): http://usainbolt.com/photos/cricket-with-yuvraj-singh-in-india/ (based on wordpress)
3) to much effects, but the preview-line is nice: http://www.opensourcesolutions.es/en/ext/ozio-gallery/demo.html (based on joomla)
Also interesting but not my goal: http://ricklohre.com/portfolio/
P.S.: It was quite hard to find any wordpress based site which comply my needs. The site of usain bolt was the only one which is approximately that i’m looking for.October 3, 2014 at 10:07 am #36516TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
This is what I mean by WordPress gallery – I like to keep it simple: http://codex.wordpress.org/The_WordPress_Gallery
Then I would use a plugin like this to open the images in a lightbox: https://wordpress.org/plugins/responsive-lightbox/
The only thing this won’t do is pagination – however, you could manually do that.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.