[Resolved] GeneratePress capabilities for building a video sharing site

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GeneratePress capabilities for building a video sharing site

Home Forums Support GeneratePress capabilities for building a video sharing site

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Latinx

Hi there,

I am creating a new site with GP-Premium and I want to add the capability for visitors to post Youtube links.

I previously tried a video theme for this type of site, but it was bulky and hard to use.

I’m not very experienced with WordPress, but I am sure that creating a video sharing site can be done. I already have a membership plugin installed, Indeed Ultimate Membership Pro. I have a Contributor user type called “Video” set up. Users who want to post videos can choose this user type.

Questions:

1. I want users to post videos only, not text articles. Do I need to set up a custom post type (such as “Video”)?

2. What features of GP-Premium should I be using in order to create a gallery of the videos?

3. If GeneratePress does not have these capabilities, can you suggest plugins to help make this work?

Your help is appreciated. πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

The theme itself doesn’t have any specialized features like this. That’s why it’s fast and not bloated.

You’d definitely be better off finding a plugin to handle it for you. Any plugin you find should work great with GP.

I don’t know of any off the top of my head, but if you do a search for “wordpress user generated posts video”, you should find a few options.

Let us know πŸ™‚

Latinx

Hi Tom,

I have been looking online for “wordpress user generated posts video” but I haven’t yet seen anything that really does what I need.

It looks like I would need to put together several plugins – a user membership plugin (which I already have), plus a video link upload plugin (that can block upload of a video file), plus a gallery plugin (if GeneratePress doesn’t have a gallery feature).

Not sure what else I will need.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It might be worth posting something on a site like codeable.io – someone might be able to develop something specific to your needs.

Latinx

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion. If we do need coding help, we’ll check with codeable.io .

We are trying out the free version of a plugin called User Post Gallery. Its configuration allows for creating a front-end video URL submission form, and display personal and public galleries. This might be the plugin I decide to use.

An alternative is User Submit Pro, from plugin-planet.com.

Both appear to have the ability to allow a logged-in user to post a video URL via a front-end form.

– Ann

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Awesome, glad you’ve found a couple options πŸ™‚

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.