[Resolved] GeneratePress 2.0 General Testing

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GeneratePress 2.0 General Testing

Home Forums Support GeneratePress 2.0 General Testing

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    GL

As requested, reposting previous findings, did not see the original request to start a new topic.

Environment

• WP Version: 4.9
    • WP Multisite: True
    • WP Memory Limit: 256 MB
    • WP Debug Mode: false
    • Language: en_US
    • Server Info: LiteSpeed
    • PHP Version: 7.0.25
    • PHP Post Max Size: 64 MB
    • PHP Time Limit: 300
    • PHP Max Input Vars: 5000
    • SUHOSIN Installed: False
    • MySQL Version: 10.1.29
    • Max Upload Size: 1 MB
    • Notable Plugins: GP Premium (all options enabled except WooCommerce), WP-Rocket (Minification & Concatenation of HTML & Inline CSS & Inline javascript & Google fonts. Caching for WordPress feeds. Replace emojis with default WordPress smileys. Remove query strings from static resources)
    • Obvious Errors
    • New Site: none noticed
    • Existing Site: none noticed
    • Mobile menu same
    • New Site: All test well using hover, click item, click arrow. On laptop and phone.
    • Existing Site: When clicking hamburger icon, active/hover color activates for li element, does not go back if clicked again, or clicking elsewhere on page. I dont recall it taking on a hover color for the hamburger icon before – but it is possible it did. On laptop and phone.
    • Navigation search, back to top button
    • New Site: works as expected
    • Existing Site: works as expected
    • Font Awesome Essentials
    • New Site: On* (see note)
    • Existing Site: Off
    • Dynamic CSS
    • New Site: On* (see note)
    • Existing Site: Off
    • Retina logo
    • New Site: Dont Know
    • Existing Site: Dont Know
    • Master Layout Metabox
    • New Site: Awesome
    • Existing Site: Awesome

Note for font awesome essentials and cached css: Upon activating parent theme on new install, these options are on. They show in the source code and the option in the customizer are checked. When using a child theme with the new install, it switches these options off.

Additionally did testing with GT Metrix, before uploading 2.0 and after; Scores were great in both cases. Cant really count those to much here as it was a live site with lots of changed per child theme. Testing the new 2.0 by itself on my setup gave my a 100 pagespeed score, even with a simple child theme. It only went down to 97 when I added site logo, 512 X 512px favicon, and a very large header background image.

Please advise the best method of testing for Retina Logo.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Amazing, thank you so much for the detailed report – I really appreciate it.

The mobile menu issue when you click the icon – can you link me to that issue? Sounds like a bug.

As for the child theme – let me make sure I understand.

1. Install fresh theme on fresh database.
    2. Activate child theme

Result: Dynamic CSS cache and Font Awesome essentials are both turned off?

As for the retina logo – you would need some sort of retina-compatible screen to make sure the retina logo shows on those specific screens.

Thanks again! πŸ™‚

GL

Hi Tom,

The mobile menu issue, it was my mistake, that particular site I tested had it added in the child theme css for some reason.

As for the child theme – let me make sure I understand.

1. Install fresh theme on fresh database.
    2. Activate child theme

Yes, installed GP 2.0, activated it, checked out the settings, all was as expected. Then uploaded a basic child theme file, activated it on same site, the settings had switched off.

Upon removing the child theme, and reactivating the parent theme, the settings switched back on. Perhaps it is considering the child theme as an existing installation.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Strange, here’s what I just did:

1. Freshly install GP on a fresh WP install.
    2. Downloaded and installed the child theme from this article: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

Both options remained checked.

Technically speaking, the function that updates those options for you on existing installs should only run once when GP 2.0 is installed.

Does your child theme have anything in the functions.php file?

GL

I did have code to overwrite generate_get_defaults, generate_get_color_defaults and generate_header_items in the functions file. Other than that just a stylesheet with about 80 lines of code.

I just put up a complete new install of wordpress on a subdomain, I have uploaded GP 2.0 but not yet activated it, I will place your default child theme and see how it responds.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I wonder if it’s the default making the code think it’s an existing website. Any chance you can try commenting out the default filters just to test when you get a moment?

If that’s it, I would say that’s expected behavior. I want to make sure existing sites turn on the full Font Awesome library for example, because broken icons suck.

Really appreciate all your help! πŸ™‚

GL

Ok, so same server environment and WordPress settings as before, but now on a subdomain and fresh install with No plugins.

So the css cache and font awesome options are enabled with either the parent theme or standard child theme.

I individually added each function (generate_get_defaults, generate_get_color_defaults and generate_header_items.) The only one that disabled the css and font options was generate_get_defaults().

I went back and forth between parent and child theme with each change I made. The css and font options were always enabled unless the generate_get_defaults was present. When the options were enabled, I confirmed that font-awesome-essentials was loaded in the source code. And when the options were not enabled, the standard font-awesome css was loaded.

The last test I performed was to manually enable the options with the child theme on with the generate_get_defaults() function present. Once I manually enabled them, they would not disable on their own again, while perfoming various switching between parent and child themes and removing and re-adding the generate_get_defaults();

The only thing I felt may not be desirable, (at least in case of child theming) was that if I added generate_get_defaults() to the functions and uploaded it to the live child theme, it would automatically disable the css cache and font-awesome essentials. And when removing it would automatically enable them again. I have not looked under the hood of 2.0 yet, but I would bet….

I see now that there are a couple new lines added to function generate_get_defaults() πŸ™‚ So I simply have to update it my child theme.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

When defining your defaults, do this:

add_filter( 'filter_name', 'tu_custom_defaults' );
    function tu_custom_defaults( $defaults ) {
        $defaults['option_name'] = 'whatever';

return $defaults;
    }

This way your function won’t overwrite all of the defaults, which allows the theme to add new ones.

GL

Will do! Those filters are crazy cool, I have background coding in other areas, WordPress in my newest, I’m constantly amazed with all the override methods that are available.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

This is my favorite filter: https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Filter_Reference/option_(option_name)

Change the value of any option in the database dynamically.

John

I am building a website during the Beta testing because I want the very latest, and to be honest, it’s a small website and there is no real big hurry.

The primary concern that I am noticing is that the “Default font” selection is looking different on various pages. How can I provide you the URL so you can see what I’m talking about. I am a relative newbie and am not really clear how to explain my issue to you and thought it might be easier if you were to see what is happening.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi John,

If you create a new topic you’ll see an input to add the URL to your page: https://generatepress.com/support/#new-post

Thanks!

GL

I read up and had a play with this, saw how I need to call the option I’m filtering. Really nice method that will cut down the coding I use in child themes a lot! I am posting two filters here just for reference as to how to filter the default options, and the default color options.

If anyone tries them, note that you will not see changes unless you delete your default customizer settings or have a completely fresh install.

/* filter to override generate customizer defaults */
    add_filter( 'generate_option_defaults', 'tu_generate_option_defaults');

function tu_generate_option_defaults( $defaults ) {
        $defaults['hide_title'] = true;
        return $defaults;
    }

/* filter to override generate color customizer defaults */
    add_filter( 'generate_color_option_defaults', 'tu_generate_color_option_defaults');

function tu_generate_color_option_defaults( $defaults ) {
    	$defaults['header_background_color'] = '#000';
        return $defaults;
    }

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Great stuff – thanks for sharing! πŸ™‚

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.