[Resolved] GenerateBlocks Header color property not working? Corrupted block?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] GenerateBlocks Header color property not working? Corrupted block?

Home Forums Support GenerateBlocks Header color property not working? Corrupted block?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jon

I’m having an issue with the color property in the Header block in Generate Blocks. A search of the forum shows others are having similar problems, but I cannot seem to find a deterministic answer. In composing this ticket I have discovered a work-around.

The problem is that the Header block seems to get corrupted. Right now I have an H2 block that the color cannot change. There are actually two block properties for color for this block (neither property will change the color). When I click on “Add block” to add another H2 block within the same container, the second H2 block behaves normally. The second H2 properties look normal with only one property to change color and the color changes as it should.

I do not know the specific steps that corrupted this block. For anyone reading this who has the same issue, try to add a new header block then delete the problematic first.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

I’m trying to check if it’s a bug but I’m not sure how to recreate the issue you’ve mentioned.

Can you provide screenshots or screen recording of these? Thank you.

Jon

Sorry, I deleted the corrupted block after I created the replacement. I should have thought to take a screenshot. If it happens again I will take a screenshot, definitely.

I don’t know how it got corrupted, so I can’t give instructions on how to reproduce the error. Sorry!

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sorry, I deleted the corrupted block after I created the replacement. I should have thought to take a screenshot. If it happens again I will take a screenshot, definitely.

No problem. 🙂

These blocks usually get corrupted when you edit the block’s code. (Edit HTML or Gutenberg Code editor mode).

Jon

I definitely did not edit the code of the block. It was nested in several container blocks, the outer blocks referencing CSS classes, but nothing outside of the Gutenberg editor and GenerateBlocks.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

sounds like something got scrambled.
    Did you replace the broken block with a like-for-like layout ? Be good to see what it is and see if theres anything that could break again.

Jon

I believe I’ve encountered another problem with a corrupt block, but this time the issue is with the spacing (padding) properties. The problem was solved by deleting the block and re-creating it. In this case, nothing I could do worked to bring in the left margin of the container.

Only the properties exposed on the Guttenberg Editor have been set. No WP internals.

Before deleting block, I made a complete copy of the page and am now working on the copy. That means the problem still exists for you (support) to log in and investigate. I’ll put the credentials in the private information block. This is a staging site, and I’m working on a copy of the page, so you can change anything you like.

To see this error:
    1. Point browser to the URL (in the private information) to see the padding error
    2. Sign in to the site, access the page in the Gutenberg editor
    3. Find the unordered list in with the padding error. It is in a container that was deleted and re-entered.
    4. Try to fix the padding error with only the spacing properties. I couldn’t do it, and had to delete the container containing the list and re-enter it.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

The issue with the LI element is the Container Block it is inside of has been set to Wide Width.
    You can’t use that option on a nested container.

Jon

Hi David, thanks for the reply.

“Wide Width” What is that? I don’t see that property anywhere. Help!

There are three levels of containers before the LI element. Since there is no way to uniquely identify them, let’s call them top, middle, and bottom container. The bottom container holds the LI element. Is that the container that is set to “Wide Width”, and if so, where is it?

The bottom container that is the immediate parent of the LI element has three properties under “Layout”. They are:
    Container = “Full Width”
    Inner Container = “Contained WIdth”
    Contained Width = “1300”

When you say “Wide Width”, do you mean the Layout / Container property set to “Full Width”?

Assuming “Wide Width” is the same as “Full Width”, if setting “Full Width” on a nested container is not allowed, that raises two more questions:
    1. Why does the formatting work when deleting and re-entering the bottom container and LI element?
    2. Why is there no error or warning message issued when this setting is made in a nested container?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

If you select the Container Block, in its tool bar you will see the WP Core alignment options:

This functionality is a WP core function. Disable it by clicking on Wide Width again.

Jon

Well that explains why it works on the delete & add. Thanks!

Curious though, how it’s a WP core function yet the Container is a GeneraateBlocks block. Those boundaries with core functions are a bit unclear to me.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

We use core functionality wherever possible to give the user a more uniform experience across all blocks. For example, a user who is used to using these options in the core Group block would expect to see them in our Container block as well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.