[Resolved] Generate styles overriding my child theme styles

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Generate styles overriding my child theme styles

Home Forums Support Generate styles overriding my child theme styles

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Leon

Hello,

I’ve created a child theme of Generate. The only content in style.css is info about my child theme. In functions.php I’ve added this code:

function rbt_styles() {

wp_enqueue_style( 'child-style',
            get_stylesheet_directory_uri() . '/main.css'
        );
    }

add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'rbt_styles' );

This loads my main.css file, but the default Generate stylesheet is overriding all my child theme styles. I thought WordPress loaded the parent theme’s styles before the child theme’s? I understand Generate sees I’m using a child theme and loads its own styles automatically?

Do I need to load my child theme styles differently?

Thanks,

Leon

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You actually don’t need to enqueue your stylesheet – GeneratePress does it for you.

Here’s a blank child theme: http://generatepress.com/api/themes/generatepress_child.zip

Leon

Thanks Tom,

That’s helpful. However, I’m using SASS to build my child theme stylesheet, so ideally I’d like to not use style.css at all. I think the ‘proper’ way to load an additional stylesheet (main.css in my case) is to enqueue it?

I guess I could output my SASS file to style.css, complete with the opening child theme comments? I’m not sure that would work if I compress the CSS.

If I did this and still wanted to add stylesheets afterwards, will Generate allow this? Does it load additional stylesheets after the parent theme’s?

L

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Gotcha! In that case, just add a later priority to your add_action call:

add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'rbt_styles', 500 );

That will make your stylesheet show up after the others.

Leon

Thanks Tom, that’s great. Should’ve RTFM more closely πŸ™‚

Thanks for your time. Really liking the theme: good typographic defaults, neutral and configurable enough to build stuff on.

L

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad I could help! Thanks for using GP πŸ™‚

Jim

Thanks for this, I was wondering the same thing, because I’d like to pull the CSS tweaks out of the customizer and into a Sass’ified child theme as well.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad it was helpful to you as well πŸ™‚

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.