[Resolved] Function adding body class to custom post type breaks GP generated body classes

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Function adding body class to custom post type breaks GP generated body classes

Home Forums Support Function adding body class to custom post type breaks GP generated body classes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Pat

Hi,
    Weird problem and I’m hoping you can help! I added a custom function (via functions.php in a GP child theme) to dynamically add a body class based on a custom post type taxonomy. The purpose: I’m using the Modern Events Calendar and I want to mark the Events tab (and its event-related children) as “current” or “ancestor” – and remove the “current” styling on the blog tab . The following function works great:

function custom_body_classes( $classes ) {
    if ( is_single() ) {
    global $post;
    foreach ( ( get_the_terms( $post->ID, 'mec_category' ) ) as $term) { 
    $classes[] = $term->slug;
    }
    }
    return $classes;
    }
    add_filter( 'body_class', 'custom_body_classes' );

BUT as soon as I load a non-Event page on the front end, this PHP error is being generated:
    Invalid argument supplied for foreach()

THIS modification to the custom function works & resolves the error BUT it’s interfering with the GP generated body classes:

if ( is_single() ) {
    global $post;
    $my_terms = get_the_terms( $post->ID, 'mec_category' ); 
    if ( $my_terms && ! is_wp_error( $my_terms ) ) {
    foreach ( $my_terms as $term ) {
    }
    }
    return $classes;
    }
    }

This is the list of body classes for the blog when the first custom function is in place:
    blog logged-in wp-custom-logo wp-embed-responsive post-image-below-header post-image-aligned-center slideout-enabled slideout-mobile sticky-menu-fade right-sidebar nav-float-right one-container nav-search-enabled header-aligned-right dropdown-hover

And this is the list of body classes for the blog when the second / revised function is on place:
    right-sidebar nav-float-right one-container nav-search-enabled header-aligned-right dropdown-hover

Any thoughts about why this is happening and suggestions for tweaking the function so it doesn’t bork the GP generated classes?

Thanks!
    pk

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi pk,

We may need to modify the top most condition a bit to check if the single post actually has the taxonomy first AND then get the taxonomy’s terms if the single post has one.

Example:

global $post;

if ( is_single() && has_term('', 'mec_category') ) {
            $my_terms = get_the_terms( $post->ID, 'mec_category' );  
            foreach ( $my_terms as $term ) {
            }
        }
        return $classes;
    }
    Pat

Thanks Elvin! You are a star! Works like a charm. I have a lifetime GP pro license but if I want to make a donation to show my support is there a way to do that? Never mind – I found the donation form!
    pk

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Thanks Elvin! You are a star! Works like a charm. I have a lifetime GP pro license but if I want to make a donation to show my support is there a way to do that? Never mind – I found the donation form!
    pk

No problem. And thanks! We appreciate it.

Stay safe. πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks so much for the donation! Much appreciated πŸ™‚

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.