[Support request] Fully CSS Grids based?

Home Forums Support [Support request] Fully CSS Grids based?

Home Forums Support Fully CSS Grids based?

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Jonathan

CSS Grid is now supported by 87.4% of browsers and increasing.

Can I Use CSS Grid

I’d also like to use grid in the customizer area with the current float framework as a fallback for older browsers.

Burt

There is no doubt that Grid is great for quickly and easily making Grids (-; –

But because of the 20% or so of lack of support, we would need to include @support ( display: grid ); and then make the fallback CSS.

Focus Should Be on Mobile Device Speed:

Generatepress theme is considered in the top 1 or 2 fastest loading WordPress themes.

Now with the upcoming Google switch in July to the mobile index, I would rather see Tom and the Team continue working on replacing all the dependencies of jQuery with javascript, reducing the number of HTTP request and speeding up the core theme with basic UIs so that when the theme responsiveness switches into mobile the Google Mobile test or the Chrome Lighthouse Audit that the site comes in <3sec

There is a lot of work coming up out there and the true test of a sites speed is the tools that Gooogle is using – especially the ones that focus on mobile speed. I’ve never seen a theme vendor advertise how fast their theme is on Google’s mobile speed test or the Lighthouse audit. When you compare these test with the standard ones you will most likely say ‘Holy COW!!!’

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

In time, we’ll likely move to CSS Grid with a Flexbox fallback. Of course, this will be done very carefully, and slowly over time.

Burt – working on removing jQuery completely! Sticky navigation is the next script to be re-written. At that point, only masonry and infinite scroll with require it 🙂

Burt

Awesome Tom – never thought the day would come when I would want to see jQuery framework banished (-;

Jonathan

Good points about the speed of the theme and increasing performance and one that is often overlooked by other well known themeframework vendors.

Out of interest what browser support are you building your CSS on?

Adrian

Are there any news? Today, CSS Grid is supported by 93.26% of all browsers.

I would love to see GP using grid only by default and then there can be 2 toggles:
    – one to enable fallback for non-supporting browsers
    – one to enable backward-compatibility

Adrian

I would be happy about an update with a rough timeframe. Thank you Tom!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Been playing with this for a while now. It’s not an easy thing to do, as we need to keep backward compatibility in mind.

From my experiments, it seems that Flexbox is a better method to handle most things the theme does by default. CSS Grid is awesome, but I’m not sure it applies to the overall layout of the theme.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.