[Resolved] Full GeneratePress VIDEO Tutorial

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Full GeneratePress VIDEO Tutorial

Home Forums Support Full GeneratePress VIDEO Tutorial

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    nickgray

Hey guys, do you have any serious full VIDEO tutorial for your theme? I see a lot of documentation, but really don’t have time to read through all of that. Just full VIDEO tutorial in order to learn to control layouts, spacing, positioning, because this way everything collides with everything else and mostly I am fighting to preserve layouts for different desktop screen sizes, apart from loosing time to simply select element/section and I really don’t have that much time to spend on these things.

nickgray

I googled and searched on Youtube, but there are only couple of minutes tutorials with an accent on one or two specific things. Alternatively, videos are not from the ground up, many things are just barely mentioned and/or contain a lot of unnecessary information. None of the videos addressed layout control issue.

nickgray

BG image zooms in and out without me having any control over it. It doesn’t preserve aspect ratio, it randomly cuts background image as the screen size is shrinking, it adds spaces all over the place. Time wasting. Maybe the theme is fast loading, but definitely it has the slowest workflow I ever saw. And no full tutorial? Really? Theme is there for so long and no full video tutorial?!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Full video tutorials are something we would like to do. We’ve been having some internal discussions about doing videos for Site Library builds – this would give some “real world” insight into how to build a full site in GP instead of just doing video overviews.

The main issue we’ve had with video tutorials is they become more and more outdated as the theme progresses and need to be completely re-done multiple times. Documentation is much easier to keep up to date as things move forward. Documentation is also multilingual friendly, whereas videos can be an issue for non-English speakers.

I’m not too sure what you mean about the background image issues – can you explain a bit more? Are you using the Background Image options in the Customizer? If so, they use standard CSS to add your background images to the elements that you choose.

It doesn’t preserve aspect ratio

Background images in CSS can’t preserve aspect ratio automatically. If you have any examples of a site doing this well just let us know the URL and we’ll see if we can provide a solution for you. In most cases, using the “Cover” image size will do a decent job of preserving aspect ratios, but it’s not perfect: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/41559817/how-to-keep-aspect-ratio-of-a-background-image

it randomly cuts background image as the screen size is shrinking

This is normal with CSS background images. They don’t scale like regular static images. However, the above size (cover) should do a decent job of fixing this.

it adds spaces all over the place

Not too sure what you mean here – can you link us to a page so we can see? It sounds like the background image size is set to “Auto” or “Contain” and the aspect ratio doesn’t match the area you’re adding it to. This comes down to the “Cover” value I mentioned above as well.

Background images in CSS are notorious for being difficult if the image aspect ratio doesn’t match the area you’re adding it to.

Sorry that you’re having trouble with the overall workflow in the theme. We’re more than happy to help with specific questions if you’re willing to work with us. Are there any specific tutorials you’re wanting, or just overall theme-usage?

Appreciate your feedback!

nickgray

Well, I know how to style it with CSS, but that’s not the point. The theme is bought because of loading speed and if I need to add a bunch of plugins, CSS and code in order to get the layout and all the necessary features, the loading speed wont be much better than with any other theme. The workflow is slow plus the loading speed wont be good = the goal is not accomplished and bunch of time is spent.

nickgray

For almost everything I need to search through the documentation after which I discover I need to invest even more time and work for the simplest things.

Example: I’m trying to simply target Home page and make transparent header only on that page. I try to add css for header (background: transparent) and it makes background white, instead of transparent. I google “generate press transparent header only on homepage” and open this post https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/transparent-header-only-in-one-page-home/.

Once I’m in that post I need to read through and I get the link to this post https://docs.generatepress.com/article/merging-the-page-header-site-header/.

Once I’m there I need to read through all of that too and get the link to this post https://docs.generatepress.com/article/header-element-overview/

In that post I get links to all of these posts:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/moving-hooks-page-headers-to-elements/
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-hero-examples/
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/how-to-create-a-page-hero/

In each of those posts I get a bunch of other links and need to read through all of that and go all over the place to simply make transparent background.

Second, Customizer settings apply to ALL posts and pages and the spacing changes affect EVERYTHING. Again, add CSS, CSS not applying because of bunch !important commands and again I need to go in circles and read bunch of text. Simple VIDEO from the ground up.

Third, I need more text on HERO than just one centered heading and button. I need text aligned right. Trying default things, losing time, nothing. Found Generate Blocks in order to get some control at least. I add Paragraph element, try to simply copy paste a block of text from the live site and guess what – it adds as many SEPARATE paragraph elements. Because of darker background, I need white color, so I need to go through all of them and set color manually. More time, more reading, more links, instead of simple Text Block where I can add a bunch of text.

Fourth, background image on hero HAS TO STAY THE SAME for all DESKTOP screen sizes. It cuts the top of the image once the screen size is not 1920px width, it bounces back and fourth for different DESKTOP screen sizes, it zooms in and out and it is set to cover bg.

Simply said, it eats all my time.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The theme is bought because of loading speed and if I need to add a bunch of plugins, CSS and code in order to get the layout and all the necessary features, the loading speed wont be much better than with any other theme

The point of the theme is that it’s a lightweight base, then you add what you need, and only what you need. So instead of bloating the theme and having every feature you can think of, you can add the features (or CSS) you need and still have your site be as light as possible without having a bunch of features you don’t need weighing it down.

Example: I’m trying to simply target Home page and make transparent header only on that page. I try to add css for header (background: transparent) and it makes background white, instead of transparent.

This is where our support can help if you’re stuck. You’d just need to open a topic asking how to make a transparent header on the home page, and we’d point you here, which has a video tutorial showing how to build a transparent header: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/header-element-overview/

This article may also help: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/transparent-header-and-navigation/

Second, Customizer settings apply to ALL posts and pages and the spacing changes affect EVERYTHING. Again, add CSS, CSS not applying because of bunch !important commands and again I need to go in circles and read bunch of text. Simple VIDEO from the ground up.

The Customizer in WordPress is a global tool – it doesn’t have the capability to be a per-page tool without adding a ton of different options and bloating the theme.

Not sure what you mean by !important commands – you’re finding these in the theme?

I add Paragraph element, try to simply copy paste a block of text from the live site and guess what – it adds as many SEPARATE paragraph elements. Because of darker background, I need white color, so I need to go through all of them and set color manually.

This is how the block editor works. To adjust the color of all the text, use the Container block: https://docs.generateblocks.com/article/container-overview/#colors

It will apply that text color to all text inside of it.

Fourth, background image on hero HAS TO STAY THE SAME for all DESKTOP screen sizes. It cuts the top of the image once the screen size is not 1920px width, it bounces back and fourth for different DESKTOP screen sizes, it zooms in and out and it is set to cover bg.

Background images in CSS can be difficult – there is no magical tool here, unfortunately, regardless of what theme you use. You need to use an image with the correct aspect ratio for your layout or utilize the “Cover” option in the background image settings which will try to keep the aspect ratio as best it can.

Learning a new theme comes with a learning curve, and building a website in general can eat up some time. However, we’re happy to help with your questions if you’re willing to work with us.

Topics like this aren’t very efficient, as we’re bouncing all over the place with different questions. It’s best to open individual topics for each specific question (as it looks like you’ve done in the past). That way our team can work with you on each one until you’re good to go.

Hope this helps.

nickgray

Thank you, but opening topics for almost every single thing is not a solution I need. I need workflow, not workstuck. The website is big, needs many features and I will suggest using different theme and builder, since in GeneratePress even the most simple things are way too time consuming and you know, no one wants to pay days and days of work for trivial work.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem! Good luck with the project 🙂

Kevin

Hi

Any chance you could base your first full video tutorial on the swimuniversity.com website. It is a lightening fast website that generates 50k a month for its owner.

It should be fairly easy for you to rebuild this theme as it is pretty basic which keeps it lightening fast.

As I am faitly new to using GeneratePress it seems a daunting task to me to build this.

I would be looking to use this theme on all of my websites.

Regards

Kevin

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hey Kevin,

I’ve started making tutorial videos for all the options etc within GP which should help:
    https://www.youtube.com/c/GeneratePress

I will be doing some site templates walkthrough but have no plans on doing full built sites.

The example site you’ve provided should be relatively easy to replicate with GP and we are happy to give you a quick breakdown if you can open a new topic?

Thanks 🙂

Kevin

Thanks for that Leo. I have sent in what you requested.
    I will go through your videos and am pleased that you have started putting some together.

Regards

Kevin

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.