[Resolved] Front Page Post Excerpt Format

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Front Page Post Excerpt Format

Home Forums Support Front Page Post Excerpt Format

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    scottyonthepipes

I am NOT a code monkey (which I think my question will make clear), but I AM LOVING the generatepress theme so far. I have several blogs I maintain plus a couple that I write, and I’m thinking of slowly switching them all over.
    However, on my new blog I’m building, I’d like to achieve a look that I can’t figure out. You can see a screen capture and my request by looking here: http://laughterisaleap.com/test-page/

Which, of course is a page where I’m using generatepress.

Help?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Glad you’re enjoying the theme!

As of right now, there’s no way to put the post image to the left like that.

However, this is planned in the next version of Generate Blog. There will be options to size the post image, and place it left, center or right.

As for the other design elements – I don’t have anything like that planned, but it may be a good idea for a future child theme.

scottyonthepipes

Cool. Thanks for the quick response. In terms of design elements I’m interested in from the example, mostly I’m interested in “posts in boxes” like the example, even if the pix aren’t to the left. Is that currently possible?

Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I just did this really quick: https://www.generatepress.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/example.jpg

Using the colors addon I changed the background color to be different from the content background color, and then matched the sidebar colors to the background color.

Then you have boxes for each post.

Let me know if that helps or not πŸ™‚

scottyonthepipes

That will work for sure. The only other coolness would be if there was a way to control the size of the masonry layout?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Working on it πŸ˜‰

You can set 3 different sizes as of right now while you’re editing the post – look for the Masonry metabox and choose the size there.

Right now, the latest post will always be “Medium” – the next version will fix that issue.

scottyonthepipes

AWESOME. Thanks!

Lastly and I’ll leave you alone for now…is there an easy way in this theme to do custom written excerpts (as opposed to just being able to control the cutoff point from the beginning of the post). In the boxes I’d like to promote the post, rather than just have the beginning of it.

Thanks for your patience.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

This post should help: http://lorelleteaches.com/2012/10/15/how-to-set-and-manage-excerpts-in-wordpress/

Basically, you want to set the “More” tag where you want the excerpt to cut off.

Alternatively, you can use the “Excerpt” metabox which must be turned on by going to “Screen Options” (top right of editor page) and checking the “Excerpt” checkbox.

Hope this helps πŸ™‚

scottyonthepipes

Thanks so much for your kind patience. O…M…Goodnes….I started the bloggy experience a few years ago, but I’ve been away from the tech side for a while, and WOW, what I forget, so thanks for the gentle reminder about where excerpts are controlled from.

Also, thanks for the speedy reply on all my questions. I started this adventure a few years ago using Standard by 8bit, then switched to Canvas by Woo when 8bit closed up, but my subscription recently ran out for Woo, and before I plunked down more money every year, I went looking around and am SO GLAD to have found your theme. Really loving it! Great controls without detail overkill. I’m not quite done setting up my new blog, but it’s great and your advice has been greatly appreciated.

Time to go rate this thing….

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks so much! I appreciate it πŸ™‚

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.