[Resolved] Forcing a browser to re-cache

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Forcing a browser to re-cache

Home Forums Support Forcing a browser to re-cache

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Cody

Hi there,

I apologize if this topic has been raised before, but a quick search didn’t allow me to find anything helpful.

My concern is that my changes are not being updated on users browsers due to the browser cache. I have tried on multiple devices and networks and every time I make a change the old posts, pictures, widgets, etc. show up for the users that have visited my site. As soon as I clear their browser cache the new version of the site appears. I’m just wondering if there is a way to force the users browser to re-cache, or check for changed content? It defeats the purpose of making blog posts if the user cant see that changes have been made. Thanks in advance for your help!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Static content like posts and images shouldn’t be cached that aggressively. Are you sure you don’t have a caching plugin or some sort of server-side caching going on?

Cody

I didn’t think they should be either. I wasn’t running any caching plugin to start, over the course of this problem I have tried total cache and now super cache so that I was able to adjust some server caching options. However, my problem still isn’t fixed, or changing in any way. That why I decided to post here because I heard that there is something you can add to the theme header file to force a browser to check it’s cached files for any changes? Although I don’t think I should have to do that. I’m having the problem on my iphone even after changes are made I cant see them until I go into safari settings and clear all browser data.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You might need to re-install the caching plugin you were using and manually clear the cache using the plugin settings, then deactivate/remove it.

If that doesn’t work, it’s worth checking with your hosting to see if they have any caching going on.

Browsers cache static files (.js, .css files etc..), but they don’t cache content by default.

Cody

Thanks for your help Tom, I’ll check with the host.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.