[Resolved] Force Crop Blog Page Images

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Force Crop Blog Page Images

Home Forums Support Force Crop Blog Page Images

• This topic has 7 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Charlie

Howdy howdy!

I’m trying to force crop my images to fit a 1200×500 proportions for my main blog page (and archives). I am using this code:

add_action('after_setup_theme', 'tu_add_image_sizes');
    function tu_add_image_sizes() {
        add_image_size( 'large-thumbnail', 1200, 500, true ); // (cropped)
        add_filter( 'generate_page_header_default_size', 'tu_set_image_size' ); // (tell GP to use this size for index pages)
    }

function tu_set_image_size() {
        return 'large-thumbnail';
    }

Which I got from this forum post: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/custom-crop-for-blog-index-featured-images/#post-357876.

Doesn’t seem to be working for me as you can see with the “Why taking small steps…” image in the URL I’ll attach. Any ideas?

Oh by the way I have tried using the Regenerate Thumbnails plugin as well.

Thanks much!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, looks like it should work as long as thumbnails were regenerated.

If you upload a new image, is that image size created in your uploads folder?

Charlie

Hey Tom! Thanks, mate.

This is really weird, but it seems to be working now even though I can’t really explain why. I tried it twice just now, once by re-uploading the same featured image that wasn’t working. It continued not working. Hmph.

Then I uploaded a brand new, entirely different featured image and that was cropped perfectly fine. I have no idea why this would be, but maybe it’s sorted? Don’t want to bug you if I can just ignore the problem, but I’d definitely be curious why it’s acting the way it is.

Cheers!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That sounds like the previous thumbnails weren’t regenerated. Which plugin did you use to regenerate?

Charlie

Don’t want to link to it if that’s disallowed here, but I used the one called Regenerate Thumbnails by Alex Mills (Viper007Bond).

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s the good one, it should definitely work. Maybe try regenerating again? Does it show any errors?

Charlie

Appreciate it, Tom. I think I might just chalk this up to a faulty/buggy xml import. Everything’s working as it should now. New featured images come in and crop just fine.

GP is amazingly stable so I rarely need your support, but when I do you guys are always the epitome of great service. Really appreciate it.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Always happy to help 🙂 Thank you!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.