[Resolved] Force a masonry post to stay "normal" or "medium"

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Force a masonry post to stay "normal" or "medium"

Home Forums Support Force a masonry post to stay "normal" or "medium"

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Dee Broughton

Before I ask the question, let me say I’m not sure if “normal” is smaller than medium, or just means it’s dynamic or what. Maybe you can clear up the terminology?

What I would like to do is not have the first post on a page or category or whatever go to the wider format (large?) if I set it to what I think is the narrow format (medium?). Can you tell me how to stop the top post from choosing to be wider and have me set all the posts to the shape I want? I’m picky.

Dee Broughton

I particularly want to understand why these two top posts are sitting nicely side by side and if I can make them do that.

http://elt.international/reviews/

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Dee,

“Normal” is the regular size – which is 1/3 of the container width.

“Medium” is 2/3 of the container width.

“Large” is 100% of the container width.

As of right now, the latest post is automatically set to “Medium”.

I realize I should add a blank option to the metabox, and then continue with the above.

However, if one of the 3 options above is set, it will ignore the automatic latest post sizing and use the metabox instead.

I’ll try to get this done early this week and push out an update.

I’ll keep this unresolved for now.

Thanks!

Dee Broughton

Ok, so, right now, if I set them both to normal, the latest one will still be medium, right?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s correct.

I definitely see the flaw in that, and will fix it ASAP πŸ™‚

Dee Broughton

Thanks. For now, I’m juggling dates to make things look pretty. Did I mention I’m picky? πŸ™‚

Nick

Having medium set to 1/2 would be a good idea I think. Having a row of two then a row of three (using normal) would make for a great layout.

Look forward to the update on this.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Good point.

Right now, everything is done in 3rds – 1/3, 2/3, 3/3

I’ll be looking at ways to allow the user to specify a custom number there.

Nick

I thought you were going to give me a rule of thirds lesson there. πŸ˜‰

Custom numbers would be great.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ok so here’s what I’ve done with the newest version I’ll be releasing today..

I’ve added a new “Default” setting, and changed “Normal” to “Small”.

When “Default” is set, the latest post will use the “Medium” setting – sort of like a featured post.

If this isn’t wanted, you can set the post to any other option (Small, Medium or Large) and it will override the automatic latest post size.

I’ll need to look more into setting a custom number of columns. Right now, there’s a bunch of math going on that determines how many columns to display the posts in. The larger your container, the more columns will show up, and vice versa.

I’ll release this update today so you at least have control over how the latest post displays – then hopefully figure out a solid way to let you choose how many columns to display in the next version.

Dee

Look forward to trying it.

Nick

This is great news, Tom. I look forward to testing this out later.

Thanks for all your hard work.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.