[Resolved] Footer Widget Problem with Japanese language file "generatepress-ja.po"

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Footer Widget Problem with Japanese language file "generatepress-ja.po"

Home Forums Support Footer Widget Problem with Japanese language file "generatepress-ja.po"

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Keiji

I found a problem in the latest Japanese language file “generatepress-ja.po.”
    Japanese translation for “Footer Widget 1” and “Footer Widget 3” happens to be the same “フッター部ウィジェット(左),” which causes the problem that “Footer Widget 1” does not appear on the dashboard. So the contents of Footer Widget 1 disappears from the web site, showing the text “Replace this widget content by going to Appearance / Widgets and dragging widgets into this widget area. To remove or choose the number of footer widgets, go to Appearance / Customize / Layout / Footer Widgets.”

Please fix generatepress-ja.po as: “Footer Widget 1″=”フッター部ウィジェット(左)” and “Footer Widget 3″=”フッター部ウィジェット(右)” or simply “Footer Widget 1″=”フッターウィジェット1” and “Footer Widget 3″=”フッターウィジェット3”.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s very strange – the translations shouldn’t mess with the actual structure of the site.

Any chance you can make that change here?: https://translate.wordpress.org/locale/ja/default/wp-themes/generatepress

Thank you!

Peter Islin Nielsen

I’m struggling with the same issue as described above, so I’ve just added the new translations proposed by Keiji – now we’ll just have to wait for them to get approved by an administrator.

Tom, is there a way to manually add the updated MO-files to GeneratePress in the meantime? I’m using a childtheme. Thanks 🙂

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The .po files from WP.org are stored in the wp-content/languages/themes folder on your server.

You can also grab the latest GP files which made it so translations can’t break widgets here: https://github.com/tomusborne/GeneratePress

I’ve requested that an editor make the fix a few times with no luck – seems the Japanese team isn’t very responsive.

If I could get someone who speaks/writes Japanese to volunteer I could request that they become an editor.

Peter Islin Nielsen

Great! Thanks, Tom. Have a nice weekend 🙂

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You too! 🙂

Keiji

Hi. Sorry for being late to reply. I have been too busy for other stuff to come back here.
    I actually have edited PO file and solved the problem by myself for the sites I’m working on. I assumed that this would be problematic for Japanese users, so I brought this up here.

Peter, I appreciate you brought the issue here as well.

Tom, thanks for replying. As you mentioned, this problem was not about the structure, but the Japanese interface problem because of the mistake on translating.
    By the way, you mentioned about the volunteer for an editor. I’m a native Japanese speaker/writer. I may not be able to spend much time for editing the whole PO file, but I would be happy if I could be of even a little help, doing some small things like checking on Japanese translation or fix minor problems like this time. Please let me know if I can help you by any chance.

Thanks.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That would be amazing! Have you added any translations to the theme on WordPress.org? If so, I can request that you become an editor so you can approve the fix yourself. I think they’ll only approve you if they see you’ve added/changed a translation or two.

Let me know 🙂

Keiji

I have not done that yet and didn’t know about that. I guess I have to do some translation for WordPress.org before I help for GeneralPress. Please give me some time and I will let you know when I’m ready.

Thank you.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem – thank you! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.