[Resolved] Footer SEO question

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Footer SEO question

Home Forums Support Footer SEO question

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brett

Heya Tom!

I have a question that I am interested in your opinion on if I may?

Are there any SEO pros or cons to using footer widgets vs creating your own custom footer with a page builder and hooking it in?

I have always wondered if by creating my own footer using a page builder and hooking it in I am somehow removing the power for Google to read them easily and understand that they are footers?

I have always tried to use the footer widgets to create my footers, but as my designs get more complex I am dealing with a lot of CSS tweaking that takes ages and I could just do in a page builder in minutes. It just seems to me that if ID’s and Schema markup have been added to a theme to tell search engines ‘This is a footer’ – and then we remove that info from the site by creating our own footers. Then how does Google know that the info in that section is footer information?

I am also wondering about how ID’s will affect the SEO. For example – all footer widgets and footer areas have ID’s with the tag ‘footer’ somewhere – and if you just build something in a page builder such as Elementor (for example) it will by default have a bunch of ‘elementor section’ style ID’s. If you just build your own footer in Elementor are you not affecting SEO by removing schema markup and footer ID’s?

I have spoken about this on Facebook groups and been informed that it should not matter how I create the footer and that the only real area of importance SEO-wise is the bottom footer copyright info. And that by hooking a custom page builder footer in there should be no issues with SEO.

I’m just interested in what you have to say? Do you have any opinions on this?

Sorry for the long message – just trying to get my thoughts out!

Cheers!

Brett

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The major disadvantage there is as you said, the schema markup. Losing it isn’t the end of the world, but it doesn’t hurt to let Google know which area is which.

Also, the amount of markup that page builders create should be considered, however I don’t think it will hurt SEO.

Brett

Cheers for the reply Tom!

With the crazy designs my web designers send me these days it is so much simpler to build my footers using a page builder and hook them in.

As long as I’m not making any major SEO mistakes by doing so…
    I’ll take any risks if they are minimal.

๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks again.

Brett

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.