[Resolved] Fontawesome 5.0 Support Coming? Plus Link to 4.7 Icons

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Fontawesome 5.0 Support Coming? Plus Link to 4.7 Icons

Home Forums Support Fontawesome 5.0 Support Coming? Plus Link to 4.7 Icons

• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Kyle.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Paul

Just noticed that Fontawesome 5.0 is out now with an entirely new site. This means that if you pick icons from the 5.0 side of the site, they will not work in GP (for now) due to the new classes they are using.

I had to go to the 4.7 side of the site to find icons that will work with my current install of GP. For anyone struggling to find it, here’s the link https://fontawesome.com/v4.7.0/icons/

When will FA 5.0 be supported in GP?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

We’re working on it – they’ve made backward compatibility very difficult, especially when we’re dealing with 100,000+ active websites. Last thing we want to do is break icons on tons of websites.

It’s a priority πŸ™‚

Paul

Thanks Tom. No rush. Something I just came across. And FA 4.7 works well enough, even though they’ve made finding the icons list a bit more difficult. Better to do it right than break everything!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I agree! They definitely haven’t made it easy on theme developers.

Cecilia

@Paul: Thanks for the heads up and the link! I wasn’t aware and was having trouble getting my icon to work.
    With the right version of the font awesome code, it worked better πŸ™‚

@Tom
    : Thanks for taking care of the backward compatibility. <3

/Cecilia

Darryl

FWIW, I just updated a theme (not GP) that decided to remove FA4.7 support and add FA5 and it made many things ugly.
    Having a way to opt out of FA5 for large established sites would be nice.

Wendell

Ditto what Darryl said. I’ve been using another theme for several years now before discovering GP. I ran a test upgrade on my own website and it took quite some time to fix everything, mostly related to the new FA. I’m VERY glad I didn’t run the update on all 92 of my client websites, since the vast majority of those use that theme.

So THANK YOU VERY MUCH, Tom, for putting some thought into this to protect the users prior to throwing us all to the lions. πŸ™‚

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

It’s now available for testing if anyone is interested: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/gp-font-awesome-pro/#post-488562

Kyle

Frankly, I recently discovered how much I prefer Google’s Material Icons. Food for thought.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.