[Resolved] Font Awesome 5

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Font Awesome 5

Home Forums Support Font Awesome 5

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Garth Dryland

I’ve followed this for upgrading to font awesome 5, including said function (which I’m pretty sure works without the Better Font Awesome Plugin) but I can only get it to work with fas and fab, not the other new prefixes IE far and fal

Is that normal ?

It also seems like I can still use fa despite the fact it wont work if I deactivate the function so I assume fa is now pulling the font awesome 5 icons (whereas originally it only worked for version 4 with the serve side theme files) ?

Can I still use fa or should I only use fab and fas ?

epickenyan

The fa prefix has been deprecated in version 5. The new default is the fas solid style and the fab style for brands. https://fontawesome.com/how-to-use

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You should use fab and fas.

I believe the light version is only available in Font Awesome Pro.

Garth Dryland

Hey Tom

It works with or without the plugin, right ?

I also see here which isn’t a search term i used previously, down the page it says 2.3 will have its own icons.

How will they work ? Will they use the above said prefixes or another set of prefixes ?

I might just wait until 2.3 is released depending on how that gets set up.

Cheers

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Which plugin? You can use a plugin to add Font Awesome, or you can just enqueue it yourself without a plugin.

Right now GP uses its own font icons to display icons throughout the theme (menu toggle, search icon etc..).

In 2.3, we’ve added inline SVGs as an option, so it’s not necessary to enqueue the icons as a font.

Garth Dryland

Hi Tom

I was referring to the Better Font Awesome Plugin but given what you said it works by simply adding function.

How do you call the GP icons ? IE what class etc. Is there a link explaining that ?

Cheers

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The SVG icons in 2.3? You would be better off uploading/using your own SVG icons likely, as there would be no obvious benefit to using our icons.

If you wanted to anyways, you could just copy the SVG code output by the theme and use that code where you needed.

Garth Dryland

Oh okay

What about the current icons re GP 2.2.X ? Are you referring to font awesome 4 icons when you said GP icons in which case I assume you call them by using the typical applicable fa prefixed class ?

Cheers

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

We don’t use Font Awesome for the theme icons in 2.2.2 – they’re custom icons packaged into a font. In 2.3 you have the option to use the font (like now) or inline SVGs.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.