[Resolved] Finer control over sidebar width

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Finer control over sidebar width

Home Forums Support Finer control over sidebar width

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mikeb82

I recently converted a website to GeneratePress from another theme. Some of the pages have sidebars, others are full width. The old theme had the right sidebar set to 320 px with content formatted to fit this space. When I tried to replicate this using the customizer in GP, I found that the slider control only works in 5% increments and doesn’t allow me to manually enter a percentage. On a 1200 px wide site, 25% gives me 300 px wide sidebar, which is too narrow for much of the 320 px formatted content. Bumping it up to 30% creates a 360 px wide sidebar. This gave plenty of room in the sidebar but caused some problems with the main content area which was now 40 px narrower.

I solved this by adding media queries for the #right-sidebar and #primary, but it took doing so for a lot of pages. It would be no big deal on a website with just a few pages, but is a chore on websites with a lot of pages.

It would be great to have finer control over the sidebar width that would also adjust the main content (#primary).

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    mikeb82

That does help, thanks. I solved the problem with CSS (for wider screens). I need to add another media query to make it work on all tablet sizes.. The PHP solution may work better, though. It looks like I still need to have code for every page number where I have a sidebar. This is minor on sites with fewer than 10-12 pages. It becomes significant on sites with lots of pages.

The sliders on my GeneratePress installation increase/decrease pixel widths in 5% increments. On a 1200 pixels website that’s 60 pixels +-. It would be great if the sliders gave us 1% increases/decreases, 12px.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

The grid system we are using only allows increments of 5% unfortunately.

mikeb82

Thanks Leo,

I’ll just have to live with the 5% sidebar width controls. I’ve already fixed the problem site with CSS. This is the first time I have encountered a negative in using GeneratePress, but the benefits outweigh that negative. The next time I have to build a site having lots of pages with mixed full width and sidebar pages, I’ll likely just use another theme.

Thanks again,
    Mike

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.