[Resolved] Featured image settings

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Featured image settings

Home Forums Support Featured image settings

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Stephen

Hi,

I’m trying to set a Featured Image to span the entire width of my page. I can achieve this by setting the Container width to 2000px and by uploading an image that is also 2000px wide. The problem is, all of my Sections then also become 2000px wide, which doesn’t look great. Can I solve this without using code?

If I use the Customizer – Layout – Header, and set the Header Width and Inner Header Width to Full the image does not display across the entire page as some suggest.

Another issue I’m experiencing. If I don’t change the Container Width, as you would expect, the image is then centred on the page. That fine, but a grey area/row then extends either side of the image. Is this area/row editable? I cannot find settings anywhere to edit that area. Is this becasue I’m using Sections on the page?

Thanks
    Steve

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Steve,

Can you link me to the page? Thanks!

Stephen

Hi Leo,

The page isn’t live and I cannot publish it unfortunately. No worries, I managed to achieve exactly what I wanted to do with Page Headers, but it would have been nice to know if the same is possible with Featured Images.

Thanks
    Steve

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad you found the solution!

Not sure if this would help but if you create a page header without adding an image but with Add background image turned on. When you apply to the posts/pages it would automatically grab the featured image you set and apply it as background image.

Stephen

Thanks Leo.

I’m not sure what went wrong before. However, I’m back on track now. WP terminology got in the way of my thought processes πŸ˜‰

I didn’t realise Page Headers could be used to set-up a Featured Image as well as a Custom Image, duh!.

I managed to achieve the same results/design using a Featured Image and a Custom Image, using exactly the same options in Page Headers for each. This leads me to ask, whats the difference between a Featured Image and Custom Image?

Also are Page Headers unique to GPP, and usually called Custom Headers in WP?

Thanks
    Steve

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Not sure what a custom image is? Featured image is a WP thing.

And yeah I think everything will call something different.

Stephen

Sorry, I’m dyslexic so I don’t always explain things well. A custom image, is just an image you select during the Page Header set-up instead of a Featured Image.

What I don’t understand is, when I create two new Page Headers, all options exactly the same, except for

First Page Header I select an image
    Second Page Header I select a Featured Image

both designs/pages look exactly the same when viewed in the browser, as you would expect, but, as this is the case, whats the difference, why the two options, Image or Featured Image, when they do the same thing?

I hope that makes more sense πŸ™‚

Thanks
    Steve

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yeah it doesn’t make a difference in this case.

But featured image is useful if you want to apply a different background image to each post.
    So what you can do is to leave both custom image and featured image blank in the page header but also turn on Add background image so that it will grab the featured image you set for each post automatically when you apply that page header.

Let me know if this makes sense πŸ™‚

Stephen

Ahh,

So, Featured Image is for Blog posts, but can be used in Pages too? Is there any benefit or negative to using Featured Image in Pages, or should I just use the Image option?

So for blog posts leave blank, add some content, turn on Add bg image and let the magic happen?

Sorry for dumb questions, I’m new to both WP and GP.

Thanks
    Steve

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

If you don’t have anything added in content then use featured image. If you do then use the image option.

Not dumb at all πŸ™‚ Page header is a bit complicated at the start for sure πŸ™‚

Best thing is to do some trial and see what works and doesn’t work for you.

Let me know.

Stephen

Hi Leo,

When you say:

If you don’t have anything added in content then use featured image. If you do then use the image option.

You’ve confused me even more πŸ˜‰

Could you explain why please? 9 times out of 10 I would have thought either option/design would include some content rather than just an image, like post title or page title?

Thanks
    Steve

Stephen

Btw, found the reference to ‘custom image’ on this page: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-header-content/
    πŸ™‚

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Just had a quick chat with Tom about this.

In short, It’s better to use featured image as it’s best to use core WP functions whenever possible. Better for changes/compatibility in the future.

Stephen

Thanks Leo, will do. πŸ™‚

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem πŸ™‚ Good question!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.