[Support request] Featured Image (mobile vs desktop)

Home Forums Support [Support request] Featured Image (mobile vs desktop)

Home Forums Support Featured Image (mobile vs desktop)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Kris

Is it possible to make a blog post/featured image conditional?

If mobile display this post/image (with mobile friendly featured image).
    If desktop or tablet display this post/image (with desktop friendly featured image).

Just curious about your thoughts. I like how my featured image looks on a desktop, but I would design it differently for a mobile.

Let me know and thanka!

Kris
    http://www.littledotbigdifference.com

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

to do so would require Custom Fields and some custom code.
    Is the issue with the image because the text included within is too small on mobile?

Kris

Got it. Yes, the text is smaller and it doesn’t look ‘featured’ in size compared to the blog posts underneath it.

Kris

Just wanted to add…

My homepage settings is set to ‘show latest posts’ rather than a page. I made the ‘featured’ blog post sticky so that it always appears on the top of the page (with the different photo dimensions).

Maybe I need to make the homepage a static page to accomplish what I want to do.

Thanks,
    Kris

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Maybe a static page would be best. Personally i would advise against using text in an image, aside of the issue with responsiveness, the text cannot be indexed. Have you thought of using a the Header Element as your static page and post headers:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/header-element-overview/

Kris

Thanks for this, I will have a look and get it figured out. Appreciate your insight.Have a great day!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome. Let us know if we can assist 🙂

Kris

Generate Press support is truly amazing! Thanks so much.

Kris

When you mention going against using the text in the image because of indexing…

I chose to do it this way because the images are friendly to share on the Pinterest platform.

I don’t display the Post title on the blog archive page (I think that is what you call it) but it appears when you go to the actual post.

Will the indexing (I assume you are saying for search engines like google) be impacted because of this design? Am I making sense?

Thanks,
    Kris

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You won’t be penalised by the Search Engines for having text in an image, they just won’t be able to crawl it.

Most of the SEO plugins like Yoast have an option to choose the featured images you would like displayed on Social Networks, so you can have a different image to the actual post.

Kris

Thanks David!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.