[Resolved] Featured Image Focus Point

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Featured Image Focus Point

Home Forums Support Featured Image Focus Point

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Chris

Hi Tom,

I’m using GP Premium – the Header plug-in.
    I’m trying to find a way to set a focus point in the full width image so it scales to a sensible place (such as a face rather than random background) when viewing on mobile/tablet. At the moment it seems fairly arbitrary as to where it chooses to focus on.

I have found a plug-in called WP SMART CROP which works beautifully for images elsewher in the site e.g. Featured images – however, in the GP header images, GP seems to be overiding the functionality of this plug-in.

Two questions:
    1. Is there a tried and tested way of doing this that I have yet to find in the forums?
    2. If not – can you point me in the right direction of allowing WP SMARTCROP to provide the image cropping for the theme?

Thanks,
    Chris

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Chris,

Are you using the sizing options in Customize > Blog > Featured Images?

Cropping should be set to the center by default – I’ll have to look into it to see if we can allow a different area of focus in the cropping.

Chris

Hi Tom,

Currently, i’my testing using the settings on a specific page/post. NI, the resize options are not set currently.

Chwere
    Chris

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If you’re not using the resize options, the image shouldn’t be cropped/resized at all.

Any chance you can link me to the page in question?

Chris

Hi Tom,

This is the page with how I want the formatting to look give or take.
    http://test.karlanorton.co.nz/wordpress/performances/lunchtime-concert/

This is an example page where the header image is turned off and the plug-in WP Smart Crop handles the resizing of the feature image. As you can see, it keeps the image centered on a focus point I specified as it scales.
    http://test.karlanorton.co.nz/wordpress/performances/lunchtime-concert-2/

Selecting resize image ‘Enable’ or ‘Disable’ does not seem to effect behavior of image scaling?

Cheers
    Chris

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, you’re using the image as a background image, so it sets the full image as a background to the content you add.

Resizing images will only work on static images whether you use GP settings or that plugin I’m afraid.

Chris

Hi Tom,

So I found a solution to this using this piece of css which makes the background image focus perfectly when scaling for mobile etc.:

.generate-content-header {
    background-position: 50% 50%;
    }

Now what I would like to do is put this into jQuery so that I can set the parameters of background-position dynamically. Apparently this piece of code should do the trick but it doesn’t seem to be working so I’m wondering if I’ve misunderstood how to add jQuery to GP.

At the moment, I’ve added the following to wp_header in Generate Hooks:

<script>
    jQuery(‘generate-content-header’).css(‘background-position’, ‘50% 50%’);
    </script>

Any ideas why it may not be working?

Thanks!
    Chris

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That jQuery is identical to writing the CSS as you have it now.

Either way, the jQuery would be: jQuery( '.generate-content-header' ).css( 'background-position', '50% 50%' );

Chris

Thanks Tom,

It was the . I was missing before generate-content-header. Working a charm now!

Cheers
    Chris

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad I could help ๐Ÿ™‚

Joel

Hello, sorry to drag up an old post but I think it would be a great inbuilt GP feature to be able to assign the focal point of a featured image on each post/page (even if using a page hero element). I know you can do it with custom background-position css but it’s a bit of a pain keeping track of it! Would be great if you could see it easily in the editor without the need for an additional plugin and with elements integration.

Thanks

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Joel,

Unfortunately something like this should definitely be a custom solution when it’s needed.

We try to add options that are useful for the majority of our users to avoid bloat and keep GP lightweight and fast.

Joel

Fair enough, I can appreciate you wanting to keep things as lightweight as possible – it’s just a feature I’ve found very useful with other themes/CMS.

Thanks

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problem ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.