[Support request] Feature Suggestion: Export Customizer CSS

Home Forums Support Feature Suggestion: Export Customizer CSS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Daniel

Hi Tom,

Just a little feature idea to run past you.

Having spent many years hacking at theme CSS and writing themes/child themes I find the customizer something of a mixed blessing.

I love sitting tinkering and seeing instant results, but at the end of it I find myself wanting to export the CSS so I can plant it in the child theme style.css

That would be such an awesome feature…

Dan

GeneratePress 1.3.48
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Dan,

So you’re wanting to build out your options in the Customizer, then export the resulting CSS (at least the options that build CSS) so it can be added to your child theme?

Daniel

That’s the idea…

There are many advantages to putting the CSS in a child theme rather than inline (Customizer style) and this method is really appealing from an agency point of view.

You could say don’t be lazy and just do it all in a child theme anyway and don’t touch the Customizer, but your implementation is so good it’s a shame not to use it!

Dan

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m definitely exploring some avenues with this.

I honestly just like using Autoptimize for this. It grabs the inline CSS and puts it into a file for you.

Daniel

I realise you can use Autoptimize to combine all CSS including inline and I’m a huge fan of that plugin too.

I think my purpose is slightly different, and perhaps lazy…

When starting a new site, I find myself playing in the Customizer and getting it as close as possible then hopping over to a text editor and adding custom styles to the style.css (preferred to the Custom CSS box in Customizer)

This way you end up with a weird patchwork of a lot of important CSS defined in the Customizer and ‘trapped’ in WordPress and the rest in style.css whereas it would be neat to be able to export it all out to allow easy CSS extending and lack of repetition.

Dan

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That seems like the opposite of lazy. Why not just let the Customizer write the CSS for you? Maybe I’m misunderstanding?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.