[Resolved] Feature Requests

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Feature Requests

Home Forums Support Feature Requests

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    vr51

I must be one of GeneratePress’ biggest fans at the moment. Huge breath of fresh air compared to Genesis. I’ve moved several sites from Genesis, Beaver Builder theme and others to GeneratePress over the past month or two. Here are some feature requests based on those experiences.

Some of these features would best fit the Pro addon.

1) Option to entirely remove the header. This is currently done by hiding the title and tagline then setting all padding to 0. Would be a bonus to be able to tick a box to ‘use nav bar header’. I went headerless with my own sites a few years ago. It is a good fit for modern expectations. Nice, clean and tidy.

2) Option to disable page titles globally and re-enable on a per page basis.

3) Side-by-side category and archive widgets. This is easy to do with CSS but would be nice to have a theme setting for this.

4) Option to set widget area visibility at various breakpoints e.g. independent sidebar layout for mobiles, tablets and desktops. wp_is_mobile() could be helpful here.

5) Option to set different image sizes for mobiles, tablets and desktops. I mentioned this in the last GP 1.5.x forum thread. Only mentioning again to keep these ideas all in one post.

6) We need a general functions editor in the hooks addon. At the moment we install a functionality plugin but I can’t help think that a functionality plugin could be replaced by a new General Functions section in the Hooks addon that comes with GP Pro.

7) Option to set GP Pro update key and make use of GP Pro features when GP is not the active theme. This is needed to allow theme customisation before theme activation either by manual or scheduled process now that Customizer now allows changes to be scheduled for publication.

8) This is more of a bug-fix. The back-to-top button needs a z-index of 9999999999 to prevent it getting lost behind some frontend features added by plugins.

9) Option to set position of the back to top button so it doesn’t have to compete with chat buttons that sit in that same bottom right-hand corner spot.

Thank you for reading this Tom.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Thank you so much for the suggestions – I really appreciate it πŸ™‚

1. This is planned in our Disable Elements module re-write, which is planned for GPP 1.7.

2. Same as above.

3. Can I see an example of this?

4. Interesting – so the ability to hide the sidebar at a specific breakpoint? Or individual widgets?

5. Have this added to our roadmap.

6. Hooks has a complete rebuild planned.

7. This is a tough one, as most of the GPP functions extend/require GP options to be accessible.

8. That’s a pretty high z-index number. Usually this is only needed because other developers decide to use crazy numbers. Any specific plugins?

9. This has come up a couple times. We provide some CSS for this in the documentation, but I agree an option would be nice.

Thanks again! Glad you’re enjoying GP πŸ™‚

vr51

Thanks Tom. I certainly can provide examples and more info.

3) The category and archive widgets are side-by-side in the bottom of the right-hand sidebar used in letsplayoc.com.

Achieved with:

#right-sidebar .widget.widget_archive {
    	width: 50%;
    	display:inline-block;
    }

#right-sidebar .widget.widget_categories {
    	width: 50%;
    	display:inline-block;
    }

4) My thought is to disable sidebars at different breakpoints used by the theme. Often best to completely remove a sidebar if the sidebar area is filled with lots of widgets. But, it would be nice to be able to do this on a page-by-page basis too — that’s a good idea.

7) I guessed this one might be awkward. I wonder, could this be solved by using a GPP import feature that works even when the theme is inactive? So,

Part 1: Activate GPP > Theme Inactive so Enable Importer & License Form Only > GPP Stays Dormant

Part 2: Export All Settings From Staging Site > Import Into Live Site > Schedule Theme Activation > Theme Awakens Full GPP Plugin (if present and the option to do so is ticked in the exporter).

8) Two plugins that I have spotted so far:

i) Social Warfare Pro (GitHub Repo). This one floats the social share buttons in a bar at the bottom of a site. The bar hides the back-to-top button.

ii) (for 8 and 9) WP Live Chat Support (WordPress Repo). This has a chat button at the bottom right of the page that hovers perfectly on top of the back to top button. A little CSS moves it out of the way but the z-index still needs to be set high enough to let the b2t button be used.

Look forward to seeing 1.7 and the rebuild of the hooks module.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

3. Interesting! This would be hard to add to the theme, as it would make changes to existing widgets on update. I try to make as little impact as possible on live sites with updates.

4. I wonder what the UI would look like for this. It is quite easy to achieve with CSS for now.

7. The “Appearance > GeneratePress” area is built by the theme, so in order to do this we would have to completely rebuild it in GP Premium as well, then keep the two synced from version to version. It would be pretty messy I think. I’ll take a look around to see how others are achievable something similar.

Thank you! πŸ™‚

vr51

Cheers Tom

Johannes

I use Generatepress and Elementor.

For pages, I use Elementor exclusively.

For blog posts, I use GP.

Elementor allows for setting font size for large, medium and small screen sizes.

I think a lot of people throw money in the water by not using suitable font sizes on their sites, therefore, font size control is crucial.

If GP could do that, oh man, I’d be chuffed.

Then, if GP could allow me to add underline and hover link control…

I think that would make the already fantastic GP theme even beterrer.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

H1 and H2 elements have mobile options in the Customizer. Separate options for the blog posts might be a good addition.

Underlining links is a good idea as well – I’ll look into that πŸ™‚

Johannes

Hi Tom,

I was actually referring to body text (paragraph, lists (ol, ul, dl), blockquote), as well as table (th, tr, td), even.

Thanks for your consideration!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, so separate font sizes for all of those elements?

Johannes

Actually, I’d be happy if all those are grouped together. Blockquote is probably the only one that I might play around with, but I hardly use it, so if it has the same size as the other elements, I’d be happy with that.

Johannes

The whole thing, for me, is about controlling the number of words per line, so as to make it as easy as possible for my readers to take in what I’ve written. The problem is, articles with words that are too big are as annoying to read as articles with words that are too small.

Johannes

Tom, come to think of it, my thinking could be extended towards widgets too.

I’m looking at typography for the sidebar on one of my sites now, and it doesn’t allow for choosing different sizes for different screen sizes, not for headings or lists or paragraph text.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Got it – thanks for the suggestions! I’ll look into all of them πŸ™‚

Johannes

Thank you, Tom. Appreciate your time.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem! Thank you πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.